RED HOOKS

I just got done re-tying all my Tandem Leaders (tornament tie) fly rigs and was wondering if the color red is the first color to disappear under water why do we use them on our fly hooks ? I would never change them because they flat out work but these are the questions that come out when you have too much time on your hands.

BOUT TIME

MIKE

Is your friend a fish? Don't know how much proof there is on the subject but what we can see & what a fish sees may be two different things. Read somewhere that deer can see the glo from certain fabics & detergents we can't . Maybe kind of the same thing. When your survival depends on it ,life adapts.

Is your friend a fish? Don't know how much proof there is on the subject but what we can see & what a fish sees may be two different things. Read somewhere that deer can see the glo from certain fabics & detergents we can't . Maybe kind of the same thing. When your survival depends on it ,life adapts.

Your point is well taken and the question has been asked by many.About 3 yeas ago In-fisherman magazine decided to run a series of tests using bass to see if there is any truth to the red hook and line reputation.

The test results showed that red hooks did not produce better or worse catch rates in most given situations.The red color was the first in the spectrum to change to black as it was lowered in clear water.In cored water it did disappear(blend in with its environment) at shallower depths than other colors.Here is a more recent article .

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011GearGuideBonus