is there any fish left

I've kinda been hearing a lot of the same - depends on who you talk to you. Fishing the other day on Cayuga it felt like early June or late May, bait was in tight and thick and a lot of marks in tight also. Caught a bunch of fish, mostly landlock salmon, but normally it's the lakers in and around the bait real heavy. I've only caught a few lakers this year, they are normally the staple. Trust me ... I'm not complaining about the landlocks, they are on average quite a bit bigger than last year.

It seems to me that everything is a couple of weeks behind this year for one reason or another.

DAN

I am having pretty good luck on the lakers for the last couple of trips. I had the slam yesterday, Bow, browns, LL and lakers.

However, All my lakers are coming off the wire dipsy's. I can't get one to go off the riggers. So I have gone to a shallow (30 ft down with sliders) LL, trout program on the riggers and a deep flasher/fly rigs off the wire for the lakers. (240 to 260 wire) Rod were popin all morning yesterday. Fishing 80 to 100 fow.

RR

The laker fishing is good, but the best fishing is close to bottom in 50-80 in Seneca and cayuga..... Right now the majority of the lakers are tight to the bottom in Seneca and Cayuga on bait... Jiggers are loading up some days..

. There are always suspender lakers, but for the most part any lake trout is a naturally bottom oriented species... if you find an area where the thermocline intersects the bottom and there is bait around,you will find lakers...

From what I gather this year, its all a matter of putting lots and lots of time in on the water... Some days are hot some are cold.. The guys that get out several times a week are catching consistantly because they are aware of daily changes in bait distribution, temp, thermocline depth. where fish are stationed in the water column etc... Guys that can get out only sporadically, [ like me!] are not doing as well, but are lucking into good days here and there...

On the south end of Cayuga,this was far and away the worst spring I have ever had.. Last year was very bad also.... No Bass i caught in the lake and only 3 out of Fall Creek, 1 nice Pike in April, 1 11 inch stocker brown,and a carp in Fall Creek.. in about 25-30 hours of fishing from April to mid June.. I caught No rock bass perch, sunnies etc.. btw,Dead fish were floating everywhere this spring, at the south end of the lake.

I and a friend were I walked the lake with on occassion were so appalled I called the DEC about it... They are aware of the many dead fish this spring and are checking many specimens they collected for VHS... They told me they got a LOT of calls this spring about dead fish in Cayuga..

From what I was told, we can expect an anouncement on what the reason for the dead fish is... anyway, there are plenty of lakers at Deans Cove south to Taughannock. and Seneca has been good certain days from Lodi notrthward, but most fish are on bottom... Find the bait with your FF and get your lures close to bottom.. You'll get lakers.. bob

I took some time off recently and have been doing pretty good one day we did 18 lakers, the next day i did 16 solo, then nothing, and then 6 or seven toaday. It seemed like they were acting different each day and were never quite in the same spot or hitting the exact presentation every day. But all in all I can't complain.

uglyo... Thats a pretty common scenario... mop them up one day, come back the next and zippo... Lakers are weird anyway/// One day they hit anything, one day thent white next day green naext day they get lockjaw, and then its blitz again.. Like I said, if you can get out a lot, you'll hit a lot of lakers... just be rady for the days when they get lockjaw.. I have hit several days like that this year... bob