Want to Fish Niagara River!!

idn713

Hey guys let me just right off the bat establish that I have been super interested in fishing the Niagara River but I really do not know how to do so. I own a 17 ft Smokercraft bass/walleye boat and I was really interested in trying to fish the Niagara River out of it using the standard three way rig and tackle. However I have talked to a few buddies and they say I really need to go with someone (a guide) to get the lay of the land. I guess my question now is (and please don't take offense charter guys!) is that I am looking for someone to tag along with RECREATIONALLY who already fishes the Niagara. I am in college so I really can't afford to pay for a charter (unfortunately) but I was really hoping someone who already fishes this way would like a buddy to fish with and show the ropes of drifting of the Niagara for lakers, bows, and browns. I own a lot of my own tackle and I am proficient at drifting for steel and browns in rivers like the Oak and Burt Dam. I am not looking for a freebie or a handout, I just simply want to learn as I am always trying to make myself a more diverse sportsman. If anyone would let me just tag along (heck I don't even need to fish, I just want to learn!) I would be beyond grateful! and more than willing to throw gas money your way! I would be extremely grateful and willing to have you out on my boat sometime! Again I do not mean any offense to those of you who run charters, it is just that I can simply not afford to go on one! Throw me a PM if anyone on here feels like they would be willing to have me along! Thanks so much for just hearing this out!!

Isaac

Launch out of Lewiston and stay downstream of the launch.......plenty of good drifts downstream with safer water. Don't go upriver until you have been with an experienced guide or angler.

Isaac, there are many reasons why most of the winter fishing is done from Charterboats. It's not just knowledge of the water or tactics. A very big reason is, guys who are normally "do-it-yourselfers" just don't want to beat up their investment(boat/motor), for a few outings in the winter. A typical day with "cocktail ice" will leave your hull full of small dents. If you have an aluminum prop, it will be very vulnerable. Some days the ice is light, other days its everywhere. If you do decide to give it a shot, pick a day after its been mild for a day or two. After the ice is fully out of Lake Erie would also be a good choice. Be safe, and like said earlier, stay downstream of Lewiston.

Yah that is the wisest course of action. I got the itch real bad but I will just have to wait until I can afford such a trip. Not worth the haul down there and I am sure the steep learning curve is not easy either. I will just stick to busting up the steelies and browns at Oak Orchard. Thanks for the info guys