Olcott

Will be fishing Olcott for the first time late May and could use some advice. Have fished Oswego for years and fish with very light tackle for browns in the spring and heavy tackcle 30 lb test in the fall for salmon. What kind of gear do you guys recommend spring fishing Olcott? Any advice on spoons, flies, etc.? Would appreciate any other advice when I start fishing this port to shorten the learning curve.

You will find the fishing is a lot easier than what you are use to seeing in Oswego. Be prepared with your spoon and flasher/fly programs. You can catch fish from the surface down 150' on the bottom at that time of year.

Early spring shoreline fishing is planer boards with floating plugs in the warmest waters you can find. Creek, ditches, swamps that enter the lake are better, on shore winds are better.

Jim,

last time I checked, late May was not early spring. :lol:

Mark, Like Tall Tails said, the king setups are essentially the same, though there are usually some differences in preferred colors and patterns that work on the west end than those that do well out east.

Tim

Thanks for the info guys. If you have any color preferences you want to share I am all ears! I think I have just a little more room in the spoon box and the other tackle boxes for a few more items but if I add another box I am going to need a bigger boat. :o The info shared between fisherman and this website are truly a wonderful thing.

Late May, best guess without knowing weather and temps, I'll probably be running something like this:

-2 Riggers both stacked the same, Spin Doctor at the ball the ball about 6 to 8 back, Some semblance of white/green.

-2 Northern Kings running about 25 back and about 12 above the spinners, hottest colors I've found to be Green, Purple on white/black spoons, little chrome. (I hit kings on these that I think come from below and miss fly then find the spoon in their face as they swing by)

-2 J&L (Substitute any light weight speed insensitive spoon) running off top lines as free sliders, colors green/pink/orange on white with silver backs, which often grab any browns/coho/steelies lurking around.

I might have a board out on one side and a couple of Rebel Fastrac or a Fastrac and a Rapala running instead of the sliders if weather and conditions have me targeting big fish no deeper then 40'. Hope that helps.