Wire set up

how's it going

Question, for 3 season's i've been running braided line Dipsy set ups. I'm thinking of changing to Wire. Is there any advantage other than ability to supposedly get deeper? If so, what brand wire is best? not sure if it is worth spending the money?

For some reason, my wire divers ALWAYS take a lot more shots than my braid divers. I also seem to have a much better hookup ratio on wire. I seem to get a lot of hit and runs on my braid divers, can't explain it, but it's been the case for as long as I've had braid divers on the boat. (I've been running wire far longer).

Tim

Tim, you know I have both wire and braid. I don't think the physical characteristics between the two have anything to do with the "hit and runs". Usually, people are running braid up higher in the water where smaller fish with smaller mouths reside......ie more likely to have a hook tear out......more likely to nip at a bait then engulf it.

wire, when i first learned about it, I laughed. Now its usually one of the first things in the water. I use mason wire line, 1000ft spools. 30lb test.. Have not had any problems with it..priced around 45 bucks a spool.

good luck and tight lines

nick

I started using wire divers this year. I noticed the same thing I literally took shots 2-1 over the braid or the mono. However, it took me quite some time to start landing good sized fish on them, I broke off the first 7-8 matures loosing alot of tackle along with it. Once you get used to playing with the drag it gets easier. As well I have learned to keep the drag backed off during the troll.You can't keep it as tight as you would for a mono or a braid. I also found that roller rods removed alot of the resistance during the fight, so you can keep a more constant drag than you can with a regular rod and a twilly. I'm sold now and will definately say that wires are worth it. they catch most of the big fish on my boat.