wire and braided Dispey set ups for Magda 30 & 45

I was looking to change my current wire set up from cabelas depth master 45 and switch over to the Okuma Magdas. I think I could get away with 150 yds of 40lb power pro backing on both reels but can I fit 100 yds of 12lb mono backing on the 40lb braided dipsey set up. I would like to use the 30s for both but if I had to go up a size to accomodate the wire line set up and backing it wouldn't be that big of a problem for me. I know there are better reels to be had out there, but for this season and a few other hopefully, this would get me through. Let me know if you guys have run these set ups before and life expectancy if they have failed in the past. Thanks as always for your feed back. April can't get here soon enough!

If you are looking to upgrade to wire for your diver setups then 1000' of wire will do. No need for backing at all and the 30s are big enough. Magdas are not my first pick for diver setups and the drags wont hold up well.

I ran Magda 30's for the first 3 or 4 years if fished the big lake.

Taken probably a couple hundred Kings per reel running them off the downriggers and the drags held up, or should I say they worked.

Now when you talk about putting wire on them I gotta say that I wouldn't do it.

The reels would probably hold up for a season or two but you got to remember you got $40.00 worth of wire, a $12.00 dipsey, $10.00 attractor with a five dollar fly as well as Snap swivels and snubber.

Lose a couple sets and you just blew the money it would have cost you for a quality reel.

AND the fish you lose will be the $20,000.00 derby winner for sure. :)

Just something to think about.

Glen

Always , always ,always check the drags by pulling a little line off the reel.............some times they LOCK up !!!!! On the 30's I have anyway. I had TunaTom go over them and up grade the drags (dumb move should have used that money to upgrade) for about what I paid for the reels when I bought them but they are sweet now !!!

I have an assortment of reels that I compiled over the years including the Magda 30s which I run my lead core with 5 and 7 colors. I had not had any issue with them, but pulling LC and dragging a dipsey are different scenarios. I have a beautiful Convector for my copper which I have taken quite a few fish with over the past few years. I was considering getting 2 of those until today. The local sporting good shop here had a few and said a few of the locals from Pa. use them with great success for the past few years. I was wondering about that statement which is why I am posting it on the LOU. I also have a Daiwa 47LC which I was considering converting it to one of my dipsey set ups and possibly getting another. I have had success with the wire on the Cabelas DM45 on the 30lb wire but I think it would be better served as one of my lead core set ups since it's a bigger reel and I could load it up with more. You can see my dilemma. I still have some time before I head up and get the boat out of storage, I'm just looking to get it taken care of now.

I just thought I'd end this with an update. I spent a few extra bucks and upgraded to the Convectors. I have the CV55L for my copper and love it. It has a nice drag system on it. So I picked up 2 of the the CV30 LC model. That'll fit 1000' of wire nicely.

do you guys think the convectors are better quality then the Daiwa Sealine? Convector are about $80 and the Sealine $100. But the Convector seems like a better real. Would love to know cause i just boght two Sealines and am thinking about returning them. Thoughts? Thx guys