Setting up a new boat

rocketship

Me and my dad just got a 23 ft islander. we have 4 cannons to go on it but not sure how we want to set it up wonder if any one has some pics of there rigs or ideas not sure where to put the mast or rod holders. The boat has no holes in it and we only want to make one set. Thanks for the help

0315111757.jpg

This was my setup for 3 riggers! I changed it a little bit. My outside riggers are now at a 45 degree angle off the back instead of the 90. I heard a lot of guys on this site last year talking about how many downriggers to have on their boats and I think a lot of guys are going to 5 to 3. Personally if I had a wider boat I would be using 4.

I'm hoping to upgrade my rod holders to Cisco's. Dual Cisco rodholder in place of the single big jon holders on each side for the dipsy rods and 4 single Cisco rod holders on the transom for the downriggers. I'm also hoping upgrade my planerboard mast to great lake planers 5' single planer mast on each side behind the windshield. I currently have an old cannon single mast that pretty chimpsy. :( Hope this helps! Good Luck!

boatlayout.jpg

I have my 4 riggers . 2 short on back corners & 2 outdowns(6' booms) 2' forward of them , my rodholders on sides between them. I wanted the entire tramsom clear of any obsticals so I could fight & land fish. I like what I did very much. I have a board system I made.

ROCKET SHIP AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICS I WILL GET YOU PICS

UNTILL THEN I RUN 2 CANNONS OFF THE BACK CORNERS IN A SLIGHT ANGLE OUT MAYBE 3 " TO THE OUT SIDE OF THE HAUL-

THEN ABOUT 3' OFF THE CORNER ON EACH SIDE OF THE BOAT PORT/STAR I RUN MY OTHER DOWNRIGGERS IN A SLIGHT ANGLE BACK AND THESE TWO DOWN RIGGERS HAVE EXTENDED BOOMS 4' THIS WORKS FOR ME BUT *MAKE SURE* YOU PUT ALL OF THESE ON A SWIVLE I DID NOT AT FIRST AND BENT MY BOOM ON MY REAR LIKE A JACK ASS BACKING IN TO MY DOCK WITH ABOUT 10 PEOPLE WATCHING BAD MOMENT FOR ME IT WAS FIXABLE THOUGH .BUT ONE OF THOES BROKE INTO A COLD SWEAT RIGHT NOW MOMENTS SO DONT DO WHAT I DID START WITH THE SWIVLE BASE AND YOU WONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

GOOD LUCK!

ROCKET SHIP AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICS I WILL GET YOU PICS

UNTILL THEN I RUN 2 CANNONS OFF THE BACK CORNERS IN A SLIGHT ANGLE OUT MAYBE 3 " TO THE OUT SIDE OF THE HAUL-

THEN ABOUT 3' OFF THE CORNER ON EACH SIDE OF THE BOAT PORT/STAR I RUN MY OTHER DOWNRIGGERS IN A SLIGHT ANGLE BACK AND THESE TWO DOWN RIGGERS HAVE EXTENDED BOOMS 4' THIS WORKS FOR ME BUT *MAKE SURE* YOU PUT ALL OF THESE ON A SWIVLE I DID NOT AT FIRST AND BENT MY BOOM ON MY REAR LIKE A JACK ASS BACKING IN TO MY DOCK WITH ABOUT 10 PEOPLE WATCHING BAD MOMENT FOR ME IT WAS FIXABLE THOUGH .BUT ONE OF THOES BROKE INTO A COLD SWEAT RIGHT NOW MOMENTS SO DONT DO WHAT I DID START WITH THE SWIVLE BASE AND YOU WONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

GOOD LUCK!

Put things where you think you want them & see what you think & how they might work. remember you have to reach for those swinging balls & rig lines sometimes in 5-4 ft waves or have them bang the side of your boat ,ouch! Remember the "measure twice /cut once!" rule.

This is how I have my Islander set up. My legs arn't the greastest Though they are much better with the new knees. So I have the riggers mounted low in the corners and can set them up sitting on the engine box. The center is clear so we can bring fish up the back. The dipsie are run with 7' flsh Dr. roller rods and they clear the rigger cables fine. After all they do pull out to the side ;) We usually have just the two of us on the boat so at this time we can run only the four rods. The nets go into holders that go through the drop curtian on each side of the hardtop. There was an old tv cop show that had the catch phrase "Works for me" and this Works for Me!!! I sat in the boat and practice fishing ,as my wife called it , figuring how I wanted to mount things . Everyone is differant What works for me might be a pain in the tush to you.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Yep!!! It started when I bought a raffle ticked for a free fishing trip to lake Ontario. That free trip cost me thousands since :clap::lol::lol: The Islander was my project from two years ago. I had my frist knee replaced and would go out to the barn and work on it. Had to replace the whole interior. It fishes good.

Its 38 X 50 14' high with a 10' over hang for the camper It was Amish built and they did a great job. The only thing is the overhang. I thought I would have 10' but the suports for the roof are set in . So you have to be careful when you pull the camper in. Is great the skylites realy light up the inside. Ran elect. out to it and have a breaker box and welding plug all right there Still trying to set it up. BUT is like one of those black holes in space. My wife wants to haul everything out there!! :lol:

barn.jpg

barna.jpg

Mine is 24x36 I put my 22' boat in the middle & can get my 16' boat & 4x8 trailer in & out on one side & the atv & lawn tractor in & out the other side without moving the big boat. All fits perfect plus to much other crap! Everyone told me to go bigger but I say the bigger the building the more crap you put in it & the wife claims I have a lot of it collected . Jmo.

Mine has a 12'x12' overhead door, a man door on the side. I do not have any trusses down the middle all open & it is 16' high. If I can get something thru the door it is in! Mine looks like Big Daves but I have a window on the right side & no over hang.