I have been away from using dipsey divers for many years and now have gained some intrest in using them again but I see every body speaking of trolling wire. Is that for towing the dipsey? Can someone tell me the reason for using wire instead of mono? Is it for the reduction of flea collection or better depth or both? Seems like wire is cumbersome but I'll try it if it has some merit over using mono.

I do have a Penn 309 spooled with stainless that came from a lawn sale, haven't used it though, would that be useful for towing dipsey. I'm not sure I have an apropriate rod for it unless one has steel guides.

Thanks, Mark

I am a big fan of wire dipsey's, For me, the fact that you get almost no stretch is a big plus. I have had a diver out 300' witha tight release setting and had no trouble when the strike came. The same set up with #30 mono, may not have fired. I am not familiar with your reel, but the sealine 47 will hold 1000' comfortably. As for a rod, any dipsey rod will do, but you may want to proactively change the tip to a twill tip (a spring tht increases the radius at the tip), or wait until you wear out the factory tip. I think you wll enjoy the setup.

C'mon Ray, what's wrong with counting double passes? All kidding aside, I really like my counters for wire BUT in the beginning we did use 47H's and just counted passes.

I've got a line counter reel, i suppose I could try to re-spool the wire onto it but I think when I go out again I will see how many passes by hand puts out how much line on the counter then I could translate the finding to the wire reel (like 2passes are 3 feet or whatever). I know it will only be a SWAG estimate (scientific wild ass guess)as to how far and deep it goes.

The stainless seems in good condition and is single strand, unknown what test or diameter, but it has a kinky personality, I don't even know if there is enough to reach 300 feet. So far I can see the advantage of the deep dipsey and less stretch as NY FOREST has said. I suppose the sea fleas will still cling on but the wire might cut them off as they come in right?

Thanks for the help my fine fellow fisherman and good luck to all.

Skipper, you are GONNA NEED MORE THAN 300 FT! They will spool you by the time you get the rod out of the holder and with no stretch it's gonna be gonezo for all the tackle. Get yourself 7strand wire in at least 1,000 feet because there is gonna be times when it backlashes or kinks and you will lose wire (I speak from recent experiance :shock: :x :roll: )

Use the search on this site under tackle and techniques and you will find all you need to know or better yet try to get out with someone else to learn how (Ray K is always looking for someone to go out with him and just bring some bananas with you :lol: )