is the power head open to the gear case?

dewey123

I ask this because while working on my outboard I lost the tip to my screw driver and it went into the bowl part of the engine and I can't find it....could it have gone into the gears or drive shaft or is this really no concern . The engine runs but I didn't put it into gear fearing destruction.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Exactly what I was thinking. It was just like a christmas story. I'm going to take a real good look tomorrow before I go into work. I didn't know if it could go into the gears or just roll around in there. I wasn't sure because if this was open then water would go in there....I don't know I better just get it out

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Dewey,did you have the power head off, if not I don't think you have anything to worry about.The driver tip just fell into the outside housing .You could use a telescoping magnet and fish it out if its long enough. Don't worry, if I'm wrong someone who knows better will straiten me out. ;) . .

Dewey,did you have the power head off, if not I don't think you have anything to worry about.The driver tip just fell into the outside housing .You could use a telescoping magnet and fish it out if its long enough. Don't worry, if I'm wrong someone who knows better will straiten me out. ;) . .

Your right on all counts. :lol:

thanks guys. the power head was not off. I looked again and cant see it im going to take a quick look before i launch it tomorrow i am trailering it out to utica tonight then oswego tomorrow morning. I appreciate the response i was starting to get concerned. Id like to get the tip back but i guess if it isnt going to do no harm im not to worried.