Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 10-190'

Lure Depth: surface to 50 down

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

On friday Afternoon I took my Dad and Uncle out in the bay for some Pike fishing. we were 6 for 9 and lost a BIG Walleye at the boat. On Saturday morning we heading west looking fo browns and had one release on a goby spoon off rigger down 4 over 12' but came unbuttoned. We trolled for next 2 hours without a touch. picked up and headed out to 100 plus. At 160 we took a small coho of the boards pulling a custom taped purple spoon. At 170 we took a nice Steelhead on a 2 color core off the borad pulling an orange dodger / green fly. The fish fought hard for a liitle bit then just gave up and came in on the surface. when I netted the fish it appeared that something had bitten its tail during the fight. It was still bleeding when I brought it in. The closest it came to our prop was 10'. I saw another report about this same thing. what is eating or trying to eat the steelhead?

IMG00118_20110513_1704.jpg

IMG00121_20110513_1848.jpg

IMG00122_20110513_1938.jpg

camp_5_14_2011_006.jpg

I saw you when you were leaving the launch to head home on Saturday....I spotted my old mast on the front of your boat sporting a pair of big-jon reels :) I was pulling that big black starcraft past you as you parked on the hill....looks like you had about the same day as we had out there...started in shallow...2 for 3, then went out a little deeper...found some bait and marked a few fish, but nothing going....

Although there have been credible reports of good sized trout and salmon chopped in half during retrieval, I'm sure what you encountered was a spawned out steelie. This time of year, it's not uncommon to find "drop backs" out over deeper water only a day or two after they leave a trib. The steelies wear down the tail during spawning or due to hiding under sharp overhanging bushes.

I've seen steelies in the tribs late when the sallies are spawning the bass chase them from nests hard core and repeatedly bite the tails. The rough teeth would leave wounds that would bleed for a while.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png