someone settle this disagreement

Except when you turn that corner or round that bend. Slip differentials....

Is there a straight road around here, or for that matter a boat traveling in a straight line?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Time and space continuum....peculiar irregularities, particularly those of which are variables of circumstances such as earthquakes changing the length of day....and...uhhhhh ...OUCH! ...my head hurts...why in the heck is this still going? I thought I explained this all a long time ago.

Uh oh ....my wheels are turning. The speedometer reads fifty eight miles per hour velocity, but I am not moving. Now what's up with that. Does that mean I'm reading the speed of the vehicle or the revolution of the wheels, and the ground is not moving but the surface of the earth is spinning and moving me into the future towards a new day.

Have I gone anywhere? Or am I just spinning my wheels.......hmmm....:thinking:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

You're reading the RPM in the transmission & it's being converted to a speed. BTW if your spinning your wheels, one wheel is traveling a lot faster than the car. :lol:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Time moved....and I stood still ...now I've gone backwards....ugh, that's a familiar feeling...I need to go fishing NOW!...hey one of my wheels and transmission has left without me ...at 58 miles per hour :dull: CRAP...:no:

The GPS SOG measurment is the only TRUE measurment. Yes ,it really has nothing to do with much other than to measure both surface or underwater current against it.Great tool for that. It seems to me the factors involved are SOG , surface speed of boat thru water , Speed measured at ball ( essentially the current differential) and cross trac error. You guys somtimes make things more complicated than they really are. It amazes me some of the electronics we can't live without available in todays society. Makes me wonder how we ever got things done 30 years ago. When I first started trolling I would hold the lure over the side of the boat & watch it.

When I first started trolling I would hold the lure over the side of the boat & watch it.

and that would tell you what, exactly, about how the lure is running 80 feet down either into OR with a significant subsurface current??

not that we have any of those on Lake Ontario :itwasntme:

a 14 lb ball and a 14 ft boat go the same speed depnding on the drivers experiance . I have a good friend um lets call him "FISHERMAN" OR tom SO NO ONBE KNOWS WHO IM TALKIN about he opened his boat up with his ball down the boat did 25mph and the ball reached approx.10 mph ((with probe) till the rigger spooled and snaped the cable.. I belive the ball,cable, and probe are doing "0" mph for the last year :lol::lol::rofl: Probly after he got so excited about the 14 lb laketrout he just cought and was running home to eat for dinner

T-Bro, it tells you how far the technology we have availlable to us as sport fisherman,not that thats a bad thing .Amazingly , I still could catch a fish once in a while back then . Watched the cable angles, Listened to the outboard ,cause I didn't have a tach. I used what I had availlable to me .Now, drop it down , dial it in to precision, no guess work .Ah, the good old days.

The Boat , ball & lure are all moving at the same rate of speed , anyway you look at it. The probe is measuring the effect the current is having on the lure.

And I remember a day when I fished out of Bald Eagle 9 miles offshore early morn till around 3. Heading west into a brisk breeze at 2.5-3.5 mph surface speedmost of day. Dodgers & Squids , one of my best days out there for Mature Kings. Couldn't stay on my waypoint on my Loran,but didn't much care. Punched home port in at end of day & it said I needed to head way west. Didn't trust it , headed straight south & came in on Cowsucker creek. I was essentially fishing backwards. There are some mean currents out there.

I knew I went backwards....or did I never move ahead and evolve into the "electronic fisherman"...naaa, I just don't have the frogskins for the fancy stuff...all I do is watch and listen, and sometimes I catch A fish...man this rock is gettin heavy..oogga booga...yikes T REX.....get back under rock..bye.

Let's see. If GPS says I'm doing 3 mph that means I'm going about 4.4 ft/sec.

(3mph x 5280 ft/mile)/3600sec/hr = 4.4 ft/sec.

Hmm...the best commercially available GPS is only accurate to within 3 ft of your actual position. Hmm... If at time zero your at location zero, then at 1 second you think you've gone 4.4 ft because your GPS reads 3.0 mph but you may have really only gone 1.4 ft or you may have gone 7.4 ft. 1.4 ft/sec is 0.95 mph and 7.4ft/sec is 5.0 mph.

Love that TRUE measurement....

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Went geo caching with the Boy Scouts a few times. My handheld was amazingly accurate to within about 2 'or less . We Played games to test how accurate it was. Kind of scary . My kids liked to take my handheld on long trips. On The road nav page , the speedometer was so accurate & responsive, it mimicked the speedometer on the vehicle.It has it's bad days, but For the most part, the thing is spot on.

Getting back to the original post,Boat ball & lure are all traveling at the same rate of speed. It's the current that makes the differences . Don't make it more complicated than it is. Fundamentals , Fundamentals, Fundamentals.

Sounds like someone had a little to much "Sunshine " in school.

Tom I was gonna say that

Actually Ray, I thought you were going to mention that GPS works on triangulation and that it'll make a difference if you're sitting on Yank's flying bridge (8 ft off the water) or have your butt parked in a kayak.

The important part with the probe is that it is repeatable. If it registers 2.5 mph down and you're catching fish, it really doesn't matter if you're actually going 6.2 mph. Just adjust your speed to maintain the 2.5 downspeed & chances are very good that you'll repeat your catch.

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)