how to keep lakers alive for the derby without a livewell

hi all,

the redcross will be my first derby and i'll be jigging for lakers. I don't have a livewell and i understand that dead fish tend to lose some of their weight. Normally, when i catch a laker, i cut their throat to bleed 'em and put them directly on ice or in ice water (keeps them fresh for the table).

do you think a large laker will stay alive if i keep water in a large cooler cold (around 50 degrees by adding ice throughout the day)?

any other thoughts about how to keep a laker alive without a livewell?

many thanks,

dre

I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to keep it alive for long. If you think it is a money fish head straight for the dock to get it weighed. I would run in with any Laker over 10 lbs. I dont think any thing under that will cash and even if it does it would be for very little money and not worth running to get weighed. Just my opinion though.

It can work, but very hard in the summer, and 50 degrees, can even be too warm. Most of us, are still catching lake trout down at the 39-45 degree water mark blow the thermoclines.. Good Luck and Hope to see ya on the board! But Ice alone and less handling of the fish will help preserve it.

If you have a long stringer, you can poke the stringer through the thin piece of skin between the fishes lip and gill plate, not harming the gill. Attach a little weight to the stringer and the fish will stay down a little in the cooler water. I keep fish alive on a stringer all the time, because I never keep more than one fish. If I catch a better keeper, I release the one on the stringer. Works for me, hope it works for you.

I have a 50QT cooller with a small bilge pump hooked up to 1/2" pvc with holes drilled about 1" apart around the top of cooler. It works well on eyes and the warm water fish, I think with some ice and a thermometer to keep track of the temp. it might work. I use about 8-10 ft. of wire with gator clamps to hook to the battery when needed. :)

I just won south shore marinas rainbow division fathers day I caught the fish at 4 on sat and weighed it in at noon sunday and it never lost an ounce just threw fish in cooler with water and ice seemeed to work great good luck