new vhf radio

times two

Thinking about updating my vhf this coming season. The one I have

was new in (gulp!) 1987! Seems to be ok, but every now and then

someone will say they can't hear me, so I don't know necessarily if

it is theirs or mine.

Anyway, just wondering what kind you guys run......

John

Icom 602 . It has all the bells and whistles. You can turn the volume up and actually hear what people are saying. The sound quality is super.I also have the Galaxy antenna. 10ft with extension.

I also like the scan feature. Ill program in the frequencies from around the area. and just listen.

You can get a scrambler for this unit also, Ive never looked into it.

John,

I have a uniden oceans and have pretty good luck with it. On a side note, we may have crossed paths in the past. I grew up in Dunkirk and I think I graduated with your brother in '81. And if you are slipping at Wiley's this season, I am sure we will cross paths.

Happy Holidays

nyforest:

You have the right guy. I remember you,now that you have mentioned it, and yes, my brother did graduate in '81. I was '82.

I'm only at Wiley's once or twice a year when I'm at the oak for a few days. Most of the year its here in Dunkirk.

John

Times Two,

Small world! I plan on hitting the Southtowns and Con Club events at a minimum. But will call the Oak home for the bulk of the season. When i do come into town to fish, i will let you know or ask around for you. Been a long time, be nice to say hello. I generally fish with hooter (a guy can't always pick his friends), and the rest of his crowd.

Jim:

I don't know how we have run across each other yet....Hooter docks

about 6 slips from me at the marina. Will also be in the 2 tournaments.

Did you have your boat at Dunkirk last year....I remember a big 'swirl

coming in...?

John

I did, i was there for the Con club event. I actually was in the slip next to Hooter, I think it was 'supps' old slip. We actually did well for the 1st 2 days of that tournament, then I made a fatal flaw. I listened to a guest on the boat and we decided to fish Saturday night. Had a great time though and will do it again this year. It was my first season with my own boat and I am hooked!