Dipseys

Lots of variables in this. Boat speed, brand of diver, brand of wire, diameter of wire, and brand of reel make a difference. A general rule for divers is a 3 to 1 ratio for depth on a 2 setting.

Assuming you are traveling at 2.5 mph and you are talking about a Mag 3 Diver with ring - you will get about a 2:1 on wire, but it does taper off as you get longer - so 100 ft = 50 ft, 200 ft = 90 ft, 300 ft = ???? There are no graphs for this much wire out.

Doug,

There was picture that I think TBromund drew of what your dipsy actually looks like at depth in the water. When you let your dipsy out its sorta like your downrigger cables there is a certain amount of blow back in the water. I couldn't find the post or I would give you the link to it . I do know one thing they are farther away from the boat than you think. I know at times when you look at your spread it looks like everything is going to get tangles cause the lines are so close. But I think its sort of an optical illusion as your looking in the water. I dont have an exact answer but maybe one of the more experienced fishermen or woman will.

Tom

Read my post above, I have Precision Trolling's Big Water 2 Book - it has all the charts. If you want to know depths, get this book - it is very precise.

The image you are looking at showing the spread is in the link below. It is the very last paragraph.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/tec ... yDiver.pdf

Don't use the depth charts in this link though as they are not accurate for wire or braid.

Thanks everyone. I was curious how much spread I was getting. I was also trying to determine when a boat passes close to my side when trolling how much distance I needed to prevent tangling lines. Sometimes it turns into a real circus out there. :D

Doug,

There was picture that I think TBromund drew of what your dipsy actually looks like at depth in the water. When you let your dipsy out its sorta like your downrigger cables there is a certain amount of blow back in the water. I couldn't find the post or I would give you the link to it . I do know one thing they are farther away from the boat than you think. I know at times when you look at your spread it looks like everything is going to get tangles cause the lines are so close. But I think its sort of an optical illusion as your looking in the water. I dont have an exact answer but maybe one of the more experienced fishermen or woman will.

Tom

This one:

diverLayout.jpg

Tim