Cayuga 7-16 Thanks Lil Troller!

Hi Folks!

I met Lil Troller for the first time out at Long Point... 8)

He was kind enough to offer to help me learn to catch fish... :yes:

and I took him up on the offer :)

We took my boat...

We had a great time.!!....got started at 12:30pm and fished til 9:30pm...

I had borrowed some wire rig setups from a friend and Ben brought some of his own..

We had four lines running at first... but I had a problem with a plastic rod holder pulling screws loose from side of gunnel... :no:

-need to bolt-... but I dont trust the plastic anyway!!

We hooked up 6, boarded 4... nice lakers... :yes: ...all released....

I was pretty excited about learning how to do this...

Ben was a good teacher.. putting up w my lack of knowledge and suchwhat... THANK YOU BEN! :yes::yes:

We took the lakers on dipseys at about 70' over 350'

We ran 600' of copper and a spoon but got no hits on that...

Wind was very mild that day...

Little 15 hp kicker ran good all day,

tho I do think I saw a little OIL the next day on the PROP... :(

Lil Troller:

Ben_7_16_11_aka_lil_troller.jpg

My first laker by trolling:

DSC04319.jpg

Beautiful evening... Thanks Ben...!!

DSC04323.jpg

I love being on the water when the sun is setting.... really beautiful...

DSC04321.jpg

Now I just spent $omeMoney$ on an order from FishUSA

2 rods, 2 reels and 2 rolls of wire...

but since they are outta PA, no tax AND free shipping :yes:

Should have it in a couple few days :clap:

Just type resize photo on google and a website should pop up to do this. Just down load the photo and pick what size you want and then save the photo after it resizes it. Then back to LOU and download the photo to your avatar.

Great job fishing. Ben helped me a lot when I first started.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Just type resize photo on google and a website should pop up to do this. Just down load the photo and pick what size you want and then save the photo after it resizes it. Then back to LOU and download the photo to your avatar.

Great job fishing. Ben helped me a lot when I first started.

thanks.... got it :yes:

Looks like you have a match to my boat. Where did you get your bimini top?

I got the top and full set of curtains with the boat... this past March...

looks as tho they are origional... just not used.

I saw same boat for sale coming home from Sampson couple weeks back for way less then I paid...

I didnt stop to look..

Just kept thinking maybe it had problems... that made me feel better!

Ben strikes again....He and his Dad are awesome guys...they did the same thing for me!!! Of course they also cost me alot of money but I am catching more fish. I wish everyone was as generous as those two and quite a few others on LOU like splitshot. Hope to do the same for somone when I finally figure out how to tell the difference between and LL and a Rainbow (note my earlier post about the 9lb 40z LL my daughter caught....it was actually a ranibow) and can put fish in the boat like they do.

No doubt.....they are still busting me about getting ssome copper....I'm an office boy now don't know if I could handle it.

Copper sucks to let out and reel in. I wouldn't waste my time with it. Most of the time a diver down the center will perform just as well. The time it takes to let out and retrieve copper offsets the gain you get from using it in my opinion. You can set and retrieve two diver rods and one downrigger in the time it takes to properly let out and retrieve a 600 copper. Plus, the fish are no fun to fight on a copper rod.

Save your money Hal :beer:

Wayne your a buzzkill lol. Copper is a lot of fun (when the newbe is reeling it in :devil: ) But i agree that a wirediver is the best set up on Cayuga. We did well with copper in the spring but the divers do better now. We seem to do big fish on the copper though. I think the copper is more of a "Quality Time" initiation :lol: . Actually who has fished with us and not reeled in the copper :rofl: . You won't see many hands there lol.

Copper is not that bad. I run mine off the big boards with small 1# rubberbands. If you run flasher fly set ups, it will be much easier to let out. I tend to run it all. The new okuma glt copper/leadcore rods are your best rod for the money. As I tell a lot of guys who I take fishing just pace your self. Each copper rod for me has been catching 3-5 quality fish every trip. Not bad for a rod you let out and just forget about. I leave the drag loose so the clicker let's you know when one is on.

Taking Ben's Grandma out Friday. 600 copper is a great way to tire the crew out so you don't have to fish as long :lol: Your suppose to have tired arms at the end of the day fishing. We don't catch as many fish as alot of these guys so copper lets us feel that burn like we had a 50 fish day. We are just busting Hal. He was a good student as we explained to him we can show you basics and you have to develope your own program. We all have something to learn from each other. The first year or so on LOU I sat back and read all the post. It has been very helpful to us. We are still learning but are able to help new people to the sport out. It does feel good to see those people go out on their own after some basic lessons and catch some nice fish. Hals recent Rainbow was a true trophy. See you all at the LOU all. Wes

Ok... I have a question..

I've heard both answers.... :(

I'm trying to decide whether to put mono backing under my wire...

the reels are new Okuma CV-45D

I'm getting 1000 feet for each (2) reels I'm getting tomorrow...

why do some say yes and some say no...?

Hey Wes... have a good time with Gramma... !!

sorry I cant go to the LOU all...

I have to work...

For the finger lakes it doesn't much matter. If you fish for king salmon that might be another story. 1000 feet would be enough for most fish but if you have a few mishaps with the wire and you have to cut some off you might start getting short for salmon. I am not sure how much wire plus backer that reel holds. I think we have the 30d okuma and 47 diawa. I would use enough backer so that the reel is near full so the line counter is more accurate. The tape " Black electrical tape works" that Splitshot is talking about is to help prevent the line from slipping on the spool. Super braid is real bad for that, mono is better for not slipping. Wes

The Okuma 30's fit the 1000' wire better but the 45's will work. I use th 45's for my downrigging rods with 30lb test mono. I use the 30's for my wire rods and have plenty of room to fit more wire on.

To answer your question the reason is because wire will slip on your spool unlike braid or mono does. I can't remember what reel has it but they do make reels with a screw on the spool you tie the end of the wire on and there is no slipping then.

So for your reels you don't need to use any backing but if you don't you will need tape for these reels to help prevent the slipping. I personally use 50' or so of powerpro backing to prevent slipping. If you plan on using the 45's I would consider using 50lb mono for some backing just to do what Wes is saying to fit the spool better. Mono is a much bigger diameter so it won't take as much to help fill the extra space on the reel. Just a thought.

thanks guys..

i guess i'll do what they said on the phone....

reel up the wire, then fill in w mono,

then reel it onto the other reel so I know how much mono to use....

then use that amount on the 2nd reel....

boy i hope i dont screw this up...

( i think what Rshubuck was saying is that i will have a lot of extra space on the 45's cause they are bigger)

-yeah, I do use backer mono for braid..

now i gotta go look up how to tie one on!! hahaha and how to tie mono to wire..