Fair Haven July 28 & 29, 2007

We had a fantastic weekend of fishing out of Fair Haven the past two days. We boated lots of kings, some steelies, and even a laker (I was hoping for a laker-free year too...oh well... :? :?)

It was a 100% fly bite for us. Wire divers, riggers and copper down 80-100' all fired multiple times for us. Temps were 80-95' down, and our best down speed was 2.4-2.6mph. Best depths were 250-380FOW. The Siggs Rigs Blue Dolphin behind a Spinny Dalmatian was easily our #1 producer, with a Siggs Green Hypnotist behind a Green Spinny as our second best producer. We ran a new combo (for us anyway) that took multiple fish too. We're calling it the Maui Wowie. It's a blue double crush glow Spinny pulling a Siggs Rigs Maui fly. It's gonna see a lot more time in the water for us this season. I don't have a pic of the combo yet (forgot the camera on Sunday...doh!), but I'll try to snap one soon.

July28292007021.jpg

Thanks Jax for the Sharpie suggestion...worked great!!

July28292007019.jpg

July28292007007.jpg

Fish were a bit East of the chute. When we ventured west, the screen was pretty blank and the rods stopped firing.

Bill,

Thanks for another great report.

Sunday morning we were out of Fairhaven and were just inshore of you. You really know how to find the fish!

We fished in 130 to 200 fow. Didn't see much bait or fish on the fishfinder. but stayed the course and landed 3 out of 5 ... 15, 20 and 22 pounds. All 60 to 80 feet down on the riggers and all spoons. Lately we haven't been able to get our dipsies to fire. We have been fishing with 8 foot leads from the dipsy on #2 setting to white crush or green spin doctors with LLB and green flies. Do those black spots make that much difference? Appreciate any sage advice you might have. Thanks.

Charley

Hey Charley,

I don't know if those spots make that big of a difference or not. But we've been running them in front of a Siggs Rigs (or Maniac) Blue Dolphin (aka Hammer) with a lot of success. The plain white double crush glow has been a good paddle too. I do think that you'll find the set-up to be more productive if you replace that LBB with one of the above fly's. That thing has been a terrific fly.

Which boat were you in on Sunday? We had a great morning...and that combo was on fire for us.

Hi Bill,

We were in the 20 foot gray Starcraft. We had a great morning too, all things considered. We didn't see too much on the screen but managed to pull in a few "Lone Rangers". This was our first fish of the morning at about 07:15, 70 down over 180 on an alewife spoon on a rigger.

Appreciate the kind advice. I must admit I run LBB way too much since I have so many positive experiences with it seared into the memory bank of the old hair covered computer!! Mostly from last year. I'll try some flies more in line with your kind recommendations.

Thanks Much,

Charley