Down Temp. with engine noise problem

nancyb2

I have a Depth Raider down temp. and have found that my engine (electronic) noise will not allow any readings below 85 feet. I have tried everything and know that when i turn off the engine my unit reads just fine at the deeper depths. I was hopeing someone may have had a similar problem and could tell me what i need to add to the engine , alternator to solve this problem. I have installed an in-line 20 amp noise filter but it has not helped.

I have talked in length with Curt and he has been a huge help , but seems to be stumped with this and feels i should just go with another battery. I was hopeing to keep the cost down and looking for a different solution if there is one.

I had same problem a few years ago , couldnt get it to work on my 04 2052 trophy 4.3 . Tried everything I ended up giving up after a week of frustration and returned it. I figure the only one that will work for me is a fish hawk because it doesnt rely one the info to travel up a coated cable.

I may have some info for you after next time out. I am currently running 2 Sub-Trolls. However, one of the Sub-Trolls was using the Depth Raider antenna, which is a much larger diameter. I too would lose the signal on this unit over 80 feet. I've had no problems with the other unit using the Sub-Troll antenna. Against everything my engineering mind tells me, I did try wrapping a wet paper towel around the Depth Raider antenna and it worked! I am switching out this to the smaller Sub-Troll antenna, so we'll see if that helps. I won't be out this weekend, so maybe the following weekend I will have more info for you.

I may have some info for you after next time out. I am currently running 2 Sub-Trolls. However, one of the Sub-Trolls was using the Depth Raider antenna, which is a much larger diameter. I too would lose the signal on this unit over 80 feet. I've had no problems with the other unit using the Sub-Troll antenna. Against everything my engineering mind tells me, I did try wrapping a wet paper towel around the Depth Raider antenna and it worked! I am switching out this to the smaller Sub-Troll antenna, so we'll see if that helps. I won't be out this weekend, so maybe the following weekend I will have more info for you.

Interesting. I have had my depth raider down over 160 with no signal loss with that larger diameter antenna, which I need for my scotty downrigger autostop beads to fit through.

Tim

Have you tried an inline noise filter on your power lead?

Yes i have. I taked to Curt again at Kell Labs and i am going to try it on a seperate battery this weekend. Lets Hope all will be well. Thanks