Speed n'Temp units

I'm gonna copy a reply I made to some one asking what the 'right temp to look for was' that I made last week w/ a couple add ons cuz I think it would be useful for guys looking at getting their first speed & temp unit and there seems to be a lot of interest in this right now. Here's my 2 cents:

Speed & temp units are great but let's all remember that we are not fundamentally looking for the 'right temp' or the 'right speed' but rather we are looking to hook up fish. A couple examples will help clarify what I'm saying:

On Tues 7/19 we took Kings,cohos, and browns on Ontario in 60-65 degree water. All these fish were 'out of temp' for mid summer except maybe the browns and the Kings were mature adults 27-30lbs. Marked very, very few fish that day so I fished the bait and once the pattern was established we just worked the water where the fish were coming from using down speed to help us fish both East & West trolls w/ current at the same productive speed at the ball and just ignored the temp side of the equation.

On Sunday 7/24 we caught big lakers & salmon on Cayuga down in cold water (43-47) down 90'+ over 300-400FOW. On this outing we did use the temp side of the equation as well as down speed once we had the pattern established.

I like to get as much info about my fishing grounds as possible (down temp, structure, water clarity etc) but the most important thing to find out is where the 'active' fish are and what kind of presentation and down speed is gonna get em to go. Here's my advice for what it's worth ,which is probably not a lot, but anyway;

1.)Get some down temp & down speed technology & play around with it and learn the basic temp parameters for the fish you are chasing.

2.)When you start fishing just get the probe rigger down, raise & lower your probe rigger while you're looking at the sonar screen and see if you can establish ;a.) do you have fish and or bait on the sonar. b.) do you have temps that fish like if you don't have bait and or fish.

3.) If you have bait & fish prioritize your spread towards that zone & don't focus too hard on the temp (speed is probably gonna be more important) but keep a line or so above and below where you are marking fish too (remember you haven't gotten any yet so you really don't know where the 'active' fish are!) If you don't at least have bait n temp, it might pay to look elsewhere.

4.) If you do at least have bait and temp then troll at an avg speed (2.0-2.5 surface or so) & do a zig zag troll and see if you can get the fish to go. A zig zag tells you a lot cuz outside lines are relatively faster & inside lines are relatively slower.Change speed up and then down, make sure you are giving them a balance of spoons and FFs and if you still can't get em to go then start changing colors,etc.

In summary: A speed n' temp(snt) unit can be a fun toy but finding the actual pattern that catches fish is obviously the real goal cuz that makes a fishing trip a bit more fun! The snt is just another tool. Have a good time, -Andy

You know Andy I didn't even put the X4 in the water today !!!! :bandit:

All that money and never got it wet !!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to write all this down and Post it up to HELP folks out..... :clap: ..... :yes: ... :beer:

Andy, I agree with 100% on the fundamentals of using a speed/temp probe. I personaaly run the DR. One thing that should be added that I feel is just as important. This statement I am going to make often made good days great. Do exactly as Andy says and you'll put fish in the boat, but once you get on the fish make a mental note of what you just did so you can replicate. Over the years finding a temp break or a current change can pile fish up in certian areas and these areas can move as a day goes on. Until recently I would leave fish in search of more fish- not necessarily bigger fish. I have no problem trolling the same 1/2 mile or less over and over if the fish are present. For me it works.

While on the subject of replicating I started keeping very accurate logs of my trips. This has many purposes, one it lets you get good starting points from what produced in past years at the same general time. two it will remind of of little things that worked in the past that you may have forgotten about and lastly it is a trip down memory lane. I find more enjoyment in reading the log then I ever thought i would. My wife laughs but sometimes I'll make stupid notes like "soggy pbj" or "bought ice cream-lost bet" along with the important things of coarse. I have been doing it for 4 years now and you'd be amazed how cycles in the fishing are realized.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all of that info. I have been on the fence about dumping the lute for a good unit. I fish a few good lakes in Nj for lakers, browns, and bows but after many years of fishing these lakes i have learned what works, time of year, lures, season movements etc. However, this Aug. will be my first time coming the lake O in my own boat. I have been out with some charters over the years but like I said, my first trip up where it is completely up to me to find the fish on totally unchartered waters.

How important is temp. come late aug. when kings start stacking up by the mouth of the salmon river? Logically I wouldnt think that it is all too important but maybe Im wrong... What I am assuming is most things that work for summer time salmon kind of goes out the window come late aug. and sept. Am I wrong with my line of thinking? Basically what I am asking is is it a needed piece of equiptment for that time of year? I just bought a kicker motor, 2 new riggers, flies, more j plugs, etc. If it isnt completely needed for that time of year I really dont want to spend the extra cash.

Now all of that being said, this will be my 11 year old son's first time fishing for salmon and I want to do whatever I need to do to tip the odds in our favor... any insight from you guys that know would be much apreciated... Thanks again for the great info!