Need help w/ Barcelona/Dunkirk trip

chowder

Green horn here, gonna try & get educated for a walleye mission on Erie. Need to learn a whole new language I guess! Anyway, I'm hoping to give things a go Sun 7/30 thru Wens 8/3. Need info on stuff like how far out to go, down speed, depth of baits,etc I got a fair amount of experience using inlines (Church) and big boards, snap weights,slide divers, riggers & core. Got stingers/stix /cranks - (No clue on crawler harness stuff, need major help on this if this is the way to go)

I'll be staying in Lockport,NY and trailering down to Dunkirk/Barcelona w/ my Starcraft Islander. I have the Fishing Chip in my Lowrance Global Map 5200 GPS. Any Help is appreciated! Thanks, -Andy

Andy.. Good to see another one coming over from the "dark side". I'll be getting to Barcelona as you're leaving! I assume there's a reason you're staying in Lockport? That's a pretty good haul to either Dunkirk or Barcelona. Not sure where the fish are now, but I much prefer launching at Barcelona. Launch is much better and there's tons of parking.. Dunkirk is a real pain. The only drawback is that Dunkirk has a fish cleaning station, Barcelona doesn't. But.. our motel has one. If you want to stay closer.. I can shoot you the phone# to the place we stay at.. clean, cheap and great parking for the rig right in front of the room. As for the fishing.. I haven't been out there this month, but I'll be starting in deeper water.. 80 - 90 ft. and running from 30 to 60 down. Dipsies work best for us, but boards with snap weights and riggers work as well. I have lead core setups, but rarely use it.. hate the feel of it (or lack of). Biggest difference for you will be the speed. I run from 1.8 to 2.2 for starters. I make my own harnesses, but most shops out there sell 3D rigs, which are tied on wire and hold up well. Leave your Dixie Spinners at home! If I can be of any help.. shoot me a pm or call me at 624-9743. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I have just returned from Barcelona, the attendant at the Harbormaster shack showed us the radar weather and it was green, yellow all the way to Michigan heading our way, so we came home. No other boats out and an offshore wind was blowing that could cause an upwilling and change things. Yesterday my friend picked up 15 walleyes in one hour in one pass.

Dunkirk had an 18 footer reporting 2 walleyes in 2 to 4 foot waves, another boat went out. Three charters cancelled their trips today due to weather forecasts.

Here at Point Breeze the weather is fine, lots of fish out there but the catching is no good.