what 3 spoons are must haves outta olcott?

Picture234-1.jpg

Picture205.jpg

Get a green pattern, an orange pattern, and a black on white pattern. Hard to go wrong with NK's, Michigan Stingers, Dreamweaver SS, Northport Nailers, Silver streaks

Yes Ray they swim around my baits and bite the swivel :P . What a load of crap that theory is. Now the Spot-tailed shiner has a dot on it's tail, so maybe that is why inshore Brown fishermen esp. at the Oak swear by putting the eye on rear. I have never seen underwater footage of ANY species of fish swimming around a bait to hit it head first. Bait is always fleeing. Caught from behind and then swallowed head first IMO.

Maybe not headfirst 100%, but I gotten my fair share of T boned DHJ14's.

Don't want to get muskie guys worked up, but my limite number of hardbaits, just about all eyes are upfront. My weagles are, and thats good enough for me.

Salmon, lots of eyes on the back. In fact, when I first saw em, I thought "wrong end fellas". Hey, if it gets fish, it gets fish.

On lake michigan perch fishing, its a tail hooked only on the spreaders. Lip hookit and you are goin home with a small bucket.

Diehard-DW and Stingray

Gator- DW and Stingray

42nd- NK Mag, Nk 28 Happy Meal- Moonshine

Carbon 14-Moonshine

Modified Carmel Dolphin- DW, SS and Mag

Watermelon- NK Mag, Nk 28

Michael Jackson of sorts in a couple different model

Black spon with crush green scallop

Black spon with crush purple scallop

Mark I think you have caught fish on all these spoons while you have been on my boat.

Here is my Lake O three- spoon value pack for all species

1). Michigan Stinger in Black Widow or Black Wiggler for Brown Trout

2). Dreamweaver SS or regular in Steelhead Candy for Steelhead

3). Michigan Stinger in Stingray or Mag size - NBK-green for Kings

well mark im one of those rookies that match conditions ,water color,temp depth,daylight,, cloudy, windy ,calm,bait size,time of year....in the spring a M&M is hot under the right conditions,yellow nbk,move 400 yds to clearer water and natural,light purple ,silver purple ,watermellon,rasberry,,,so its kinda tuff to give 3,plus all my eyes are bassackwards.. :( ,,,now i know why ive gotten skunked 2 days in over ten years fishing ya think with over 3400 hrs trollin (time on fishfinderhrs meter)in the last 5 years id learn sumpting not to mention all the years without a hour meter...

You got that right Kevin. Nice to start building up the spoon collection.

Come on Ray give it up. That old drunk, folksy, "jeez guys", Andy Griffith tone is getting old. You got skeelz. Now how about helping a couple of us newbies out.?

We all match the hatch and conditions. We all think about speed, depth, wind, sun, you name it. We aint pros, but we aint boobs either.

You got that right Kevin. Nice to start building up the spoon collection.

Come on Ray give it up. That old drunk, folksy, "jeez guys", Andy Griffith tone is getting old. You got skeelz. Now how about helping a couple of us newbies out.?

We all match the hatch and conditions. We all think about speed, depth, wind, sun, you name it. We aint pros, but we aint boobs either.

I don't know Mark, Ray gave good advice and got belittled for it. He's absolutely right about the eye on the back of the spoon. For whatever reason, spoons with an eye on the back end DO get bit more. I don't think a fish with a brain the size of a pea has the ability to rationalize that the bait is swimming backwards, they see what appears to be the eye of the fish and strike at what they perceive to be the head of the food they are trying to eat.

I don't think Ray's typing/spelling skills are quite a bad as he pretends, but that's always been how Ray's posts have been on here, don't take it personal and listen to Ray's advise, he's a pretty good fisherman.

the three spoons I wouldn't leave Olcott without would be the NBK Stingray, a spook/laser spook, regardless of brand and for first thing in the morning/low light/overcast conditions, the old classic NK Black and Purple with the white back. That spoon has been a Lake O king killer since the 80's and it still is today. I started running it regularly again this year and has taken multiple fish for me every trip out. Not great in bright sun, there are better options then, but in reduced sunlight conditions it absolutely rocks.

Tim

here ya go mark many years ago i found this site when learning ,,went through daily reports month by month,year by year and day by day,made a chart of what worked at what depth under what conditions,,i have carried my composition book in my boat ever sence,and do pull it out for a review on ocasions.

But this is where I got my start of my "GO TO" spoons ...many NEW color varations have been added but youll see their is a pattern of colors most salmon zero in on green and silver.............yellow yes blue yes,,,mix yellow and blue and what do ya get hmmm green maybe ? thats where ya use existing color of water , light conditions ,,...

Thanks Tim ,oh have ya ever heard of the 3 s,s speed,speed,speed,,(my little tip),,,yes the proper speed will make your lure "flutter" like a woonded baitfish,...... mortaly woonded fluttering baitfish rarly "swim normal" (forwards) sometimes they drop tailfirst..hmm maybe the eye position might not sound so stupid....

Now do yer own stinkin homework from years of reports from some pretty good fishermen "AT THE OAK"..................................

http://www.attheoak.net/archives/index.html

:*

Maybe you have heard of guys puttin it in nuteral to entice the bite of a fish.....hmm lure flutters tailfirst....I ant just another pretty face here ,without tanlines wanna see?

Oh and if ya want some theorys (mine) on light bite and agressive bite I might be able to explane

the eyes are on the wrong end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fish eat bait headfirst...

These are real questions.

They eat baitfish head first that look like the are swimming backwards?

How do they know how to eat a spoon that has no eyes?

Mark,

The last two years at Oak Orchard my 3 top have been

Moonsine Happy Meal - By far our best the first 2 hrs and last 2 hrs of the day or overcast days

Not even sure of the name - Black and purple, silver cup, glow ladderback

Green Gator - Stinger

Followed closely by

NBK

42 second

Alewive

Anything green and silver

Yeah, otis indeed.

Having met Ray a few times, I know he has the knowledge and the skills. So, all in friendly jest.

Gill T had a nice article in GLA. Thought it was interesting. Still working on getting things to go. But I have had a heckuva support team, with a lot of folks right from here.

Will keep up the good work.

Make no bones about it.........if the locals say they are getting fish with a red eye sticker on the back of a spoon.......I am going to put a red eye on the back of the spoon!!!! I will never believe that a fish with a brain the size of a pea actually "thinks" about the eye thing before biting. The moment of the strike is a reaction that happens in a flash. The eye in the back of the spoon is more of a color thing than anything. As Ray says speed and LOCATION are more important than what color or where you place the eye sticker. There should be no hurt feelings in a healthy discussion about fishing......it is just fishing.

:beer::beer::beer: