Seneca 08/11/11

Did a full day trip on Seneca today out of Severne with two guys from PA, I ran to my hot spot out over 500+ and set up an 8 rod spread. The morning started off great no weeds, west wind, great temp at 60 fow, and fish that wanted to jump in the boat. We had a two man limit in the boat in no time. One of the guys was in his 70s it was his first time on a boat fishing. He had one heck of a day with a monster Laker dropped off the 200 dip first thing. As soon as that happened the second diver pulling a big weenie fly/flasher fires, that Laker hit the ice. Then the rigger at 70 fires with a 5lb salmon on the bottom spoon and an 18 inch Brown on the slider. About that time I’m thinking dam a Bow and this guy has a grand slam his first time on the water :o . We took three bows in that area on 250 copper and 10 color core, giving him his grand slam and some great action. The fishing died around 12 when the wind switched to the North; we did pic up a couple small salmon and Lakers out deep. Just a we were pulling in the gear we hit a good bait pod out in the center of the lake and hooked up with two good bows down 70ft one on a rigger the other on a wire diver/ spoon running down 70. It was a perfect way to end the day. The fleas were back big time but the weeds had all blown to the East shore.

IMG_7601.jpg

Nice report Sean. I'll be out of Sampson tomorrow evening. Hopefully I'll find a few of your leftovers!

I got a question about your copper set-ups. I just picked up my first copper rig. (500 ft).

I watched a guy lose his copper on the big lake trying to pull the braid out of the release (snapped). I've seen other guys put a piece of mono between the copper and braid backer to put in the release. Others say that's bad because the copper will tear it up on the reel causing abrasions and they'll lose it anyway. Was curious how you have your's set up?

Nice report Sean. I'll be out of Sampson tomorrow evening. Hopefully I'll find a few of your leftovers!

I got a question about your copper set-ups. I just picked up my first copper rig. (500 ft).

I watched a guy lose his copper on the big lake trying to pull the braid out of the release (snapped). I've seen other guys put a piece of mono between the copper and braid backer to put in the release. Others say that's bad because the copper will tear it up on the reel causing abrasions and they'll lose it anyway. Was curious how you have your's set up?

I run 10ft of 40lb mono from my power pro backing to a spro swivel then the copper connects to that. You can see any problems with the mono section a heck of alot easier than you can with the braid. I have lost a few riggs with just the braid but I haven't lost one yet with the mono. I dont know how the mono would get tore up on the copper. I get no more twist in my copper now that I use the swivel at the backing and the leader end. Sean

I run 10ft of 40lb mono from my power pro backing to a spro swivel then the copper connects to that. You can see any problems with the mono section a heck of alot easier than you can with the braid. I have lost a few riggs with just the braid but I haven't lost one yet with the mono. I dont know how the mono would get tore up on the copper. I get no more twist in my copper now that I use the swivel at the backing and the leader end. Sean

Thanks!

I ran it twice (once on Ontario and tonight on Seneca). No takers yet. Hoping to break it in tomorrow on thebig lake!

I'm thinking I'm going to add the mono. Frank in Oswego (Home Office) uses it too and I've never seen him have a problem either.