X4 or GPS speed?

Took my boat out today after installing my X4. At every speed my GPS and X4 arent even close. At slow speed I seem to be about 1mph off. For instance my gps shows 3.5 mph and the X4 reads 2.8. At higher speed it gets much further apart. I cant even use my speedo under 5mph to see which one is accurate. Do I assume the Fish hawk is accurate?

Jeff

Lure speed and water temp are critical to catching fish. Water temp tells you where the fish are most likely to be, and the speed influences lure action. Neither is a catching guarantee.

The X4 gives you both, so with practice you should be able to catch some fish. Accuracy is not as important as being consistent is. Duplicate the speed that works in your boat, don't be concerned if that speed varies with another boat's speed.

Use the down speed to benefit your lure's action and the GPS to tell you where you are. GPS speed won't help you very much to catch fish. If they are different (VERY LIKELY) go with the down speed/temp to target the fish and the GPS speed to tell you how far or long it will take to get from point A to point B, or to keep you in the area fish are using.

We were trying different directions, I was only using the surface transducer though. I believe its mounted in a perfect location. I was out with my family and didnt have the riggers on the boat so I didnt try the down speed probe.

When I go fishing I will run my lures based only on the down speed where I know there are fish and see what happens and adjust my speed accordingly. I guess I just assumed both my gps speed and surface speed on the X4 would be the same.

No there can be huge diffrences. I have been out this year andmy surface speed was .8 andmy down speed was 2.7 and vice versa

So when Im trolling I should just pay attention to my down speed on my X4 and not worry about surface speed, correct? With that, what should my optimum down speed be for targeting kings?

Speed is the difference in velocity between objects. It is quite possible that your GPS speed and your X4 speed were quite different, yet both correct. One is relative to the ground and the other is relative to the water ,which may have its own currents.

Your down speed is only correct when it is at the same depth as your lures.

You should pay attention to your down speed. 2.2-3.1 depending upon how they are feeling that day. But my boat might have a down speed of 2.4 andyour boat needs to go 2.8 to have the same lure action. Basically you'd have to set up a thumper rod andwatch the action at diffrent down speeds. Also you have to do it in many diffrent situations. Like trolling into the wind, with the wind. Running in the ditch, you see were this can get pretty scientific?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have the X4 and my down speed is off by nearly .5mph. I did what adam suggested by running a thumper rod to figure it out. I know that luhr jenson dodgers don't start to kick until 2.6-2.7 and at that speed my X4 would read 3.1 to 3.3. Hope this helps.