running 2 rods off a single rigger

Can anyone give me some do's and donts of running 2 lines off one rigger. I know it used to popular back in the late 80's. But I was young anddidnt pay attention to the rigging part. I have chamberlain stackers I was gonna use but any help or advice to avoid tangles is appreciated. Like how far above I can stack from bottom line? Which one should be a long lead? And what happens when a fish hits the bottom line

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I've stacked 5-10 feet with no problems. I run riggers angled from the sides of my boat. They have dual rod holders. The down rod goes on first and is placed in the stern side rod holder. The stacked rod goes into the bow side holder. It's OK to run a slider on the top rod without problems. Slider on the bottom rod usually causes tangles with top rod.

For leads, I keep them about the same or the top slightly shorter. Fish typically hit and move away from the boat, so tangles don't happen on the initial run. Keep the fish under pressure and away from the boat and other rod while the other rod is cleared and the rigger raised. Fight and land the fish to the opposite side of boat if using only one rigger and to the middle (or cleared side) if using more. Big fish do a lot of fighting as they near the boat and can easily wrap/cross the rigger cable and cut the line, so raise the ball(s) out of the water in that example. Fishing alone with no help, I've popped the other rod and raised the ball for bigger fish. The other line is still out there, so I try to keep the fish away from it. If they tangle, you untangle after you land the fish, with won't be too hard. Cross or wrap a cable and kiss that lure and fish goodbye.

Fishing alone I usually run two riggers with a slider on each rod (either fixed or free). This gives me 4 lures in the water, verses 3 if using one rigger, two rods and a slider. The downside is the other rigger cable with large fish that didn't tire out as they're brought in. Pick your poison. With two or more people in the boat, clear all lines and balls before the fish is brought close.

Adam - On a single rigg'r run the bottom one longer than the top. If a fish sees the top one but shys away, he'll probably sink down a little & whammo - he'll see the bottom one.

With clean spoons, 5-7 ft apart should be fine. If you're running a flasher/fly, give it a little more space.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I will usually do the opposite, run the bottom lure shorter to draw the fish up into the stacked lure above. This helps keep a tangle on the descent, from a longer bottom leader. That being said I will do the opposit the next time out if im not getting any action. Some times a good idea is to run a muppet rig two hot identical colored spoons one being a mag. I think the slider is a great tip as well. If we are lucky will be able to have 3 rods soon. :clap: