Tough weekend of fishing for everyone out of Sodus. It was extremely rough water all weekend.

Friday night we got out in 3s and 4s and tried to keep speed. Trolled with the waves and managed one king over 180fow 65 down on a metalic firetiger.

Saturday morning: no breeze, finally thought it would be calm.... was greeted by 5s and 6s at the breakwall. Setup in 180fow and hit a king 10 mins later 250' of wire, green protroll green/black fly. Landed a nice king, pulled up all the lines and headed in.

Saturday evening: Extremely rough again, toughed it out for 2hrs and managed our first skunk of the season.

Sunday morning: 2 for 3. First fish came in 280fow 250' wire 2 setting dalmation spinny/green fly. Next fish came over 580fow 300' wire 2 setting with green protroll/green fly.

Unbelievable amount of fish and bait out there this weekend, but they would just not eat. I passed more fish this weekend than I can remember in a long time, but they were just not eating.

Here's the big fish of the weekend at 22lbs:

DSCN1950-1.jpg

Nick

Saturday evening: Extremely rough again, toughed it out for 2hrs and managed our first skunk of the season.

Nick

Wow!!! I am very surprised about this. We managed to make it out Satruday around 6pm at there were no waves.

Fishing when it is rough is not much fun

Congrat on the Kings! We are planning to fish from Sodus mid Aug

Were you fishing out of Sodus? :shock: I talked to Rich D and he said the waves weren't bad by him either. Maybe only Sodus was rough this weekend? :?:

We left Irondequoit Bay around 6pm...there was no wind and the lake was flat(maybe a half foot wave here and there). We ran 7 miles @40mph smooth!

Nick I fished Sunday morning late because I did not get out of the firehouse till 7:00 am.... My nephew and I setup in 50 FOW and there was a nice picture there.....worked to no avail....Started going deeper of Boulder and boated a small rainbow on the NBK 62 down over 85.....Dropped the NBK back down to 62 and it fired at 100 fow lost the fish and it mangled the split ring and took the treble hook....Brand new out the package.....Checked the drag on the reel thinking it was to tight....Not at all....Very shocked...Oh well...Got the spoon back down and took a rip on the wire out 210" on a 2 setting with white echip with sliver/green howie...Lost that fish....Nephew reels the combo up to find the trable hook ripped off the fly.... Never seen that before...So I check the drag and it is fine.....These Chinooks are some powerful creatures...Both the fish we lost screamed some serious line out....Also boated a skipper on the NBK again......Been a good lure this year for us....Back at the dock by 12:00.....Woody....

Woody, we fished from Bear creek just past Ginna

Sunday AM. We marked some high bait and some

hooks from 85 to 120. One knock off, one lost

screamer, a spent drag, and some choice words

later we were left thinkin' 'what the heck can we

be doin' so wrong?'. We saw that 43 degree break

down about 60 and fished at it and up on a mainly

easterly troll at around 2.5 of the subtroll. Bugged

out of there about 11:30.

Sounds like the NBK and the Killer Yellow have been

workin'. We ran dolphin, alwife, and silver/green

but just couldn't get it goin'. Any suggestions?

looks like there comming out of hibernation the temps should be getting back to norm anyday,,if you look at attheoak site which are the post of primarly Charter capt. who share info amonst themselves and others for the best spots and are on the water everyday for many hours these guys make there living from the water and their post have been pretty sad latly.so dont feel to bad about hitting the water for a couple hours and getting nutin, for some reason the lake is draggin its feet on flipping as us tupid people call it...(UPWELLING)....when the down temp gets back to 70+ FEET AND THE THERMO cline gets a little thicker theyll be out to play,if ya had a hot spot for browns in the spring move out 20ft deeper than where the thermo intersects the bottom and run your brown program it will work.the 150 to 275 depths should work for kings use your surface currents to cover more ground .if ya got a 1mph current east and ya run west 7 -8 miles youll cover 5 more miles in 5 hrs going with the current covering more ground for the time your out .and if your hotspots arnt working that 7 mile run may just be your new hotspot..............

Woody... feel free to give us a call anytime on the weekend, we're usually on ch9, sometimes ch68. Most times we're on ch9 with a bunch of other people from sodus all trying to figure the fish out. Someone usually goes deep, and someone stays shallow until we find fish.

Are you using rubber bands on your dipseys? What we've found in the past is that if we set our dipseys up with the drag set to "normal" the kings are just too strong and break off. We set the drag on the dipsey so that it ticks out "tick tick tick tick", then we add a rubberband half hitched around the wire and wrapped around the handle to stop it from ticking. When a fish hits, it destroys the rubber band. Wait for the fish to make its first long run, then tighten the drag slightly. It's really helped us a lot.

Ray... good info on fishing with the current... however two things to add... if fishing in the morning, don't run the 7 miles... start fishing then when done fishing run the 7 miles back... that way you don't waste prime fishing time. If evening fishing, I agree with you, that way you're not running 7 miles in the dark. Also, fishing with the current makes everyone much happier and keeps your dipseys from popping in rough water.

Nick

Nick,

Nice report, glad to see Theresa with that nice chinny. No chinny's for us on Sunday. Glad to hear to had a good screen. I wish all the lakers I saw were kings. Good Luck this weekend.

Rich

Yeah Nick we have been running rubber bands anytime I have the dipseys out with a very loose drag....This is the first time after a 20 minute fight we lost the fish and had the treble hook missing off the fly..... Maybe it was just a bad leader on the fly or one bad @#@ Salmon which I am in favor of.......We usually scan between channel 07 or 08 so I can keep in contact with the Pennsylvania connection, Jus lookin, Scotch and Sodus and Reel Me Mike who is actually from Cortland............Woody.

woody... ok i didn't realize it was lost after a fight. Sounds like a bit off to me. I've had a lot of deep hooked kings lately... kings with sharp sharp teeth :)

Yeah Mike (reel me) stops over on ch9 from time to time. I wish I had scan on my radio :)

Nick

CDS, We have had some real good luck with the lures you spoke of....Another hot lure is the Green Thunder and 42nd spoon, Magenta shad for the brownines and the Chicken Wing.....Also any white or green ehip with either a silver/white fly or a green fly.......I have run my one and only spin doctor to no avail.....I do not have much confidence right now in that spinny.... Once I personally start getting some action with it, it will be run more often............Another thing most of fish have come with the screen mostly blank....Where I find a great screen has been pretty unproductive for me in the last week.......Woody.

Nick, I will be running a couple Lexus's to West Palm Beach this weekend so I will not be around to fish......Let me know how you do.....Woody.

CDS... they can be run off the rigger, just put them back 10 feet and keep your riggers at least 15 feet apart (depth wise). Personally, I hate running flashers off riggers, simply because there's nothing better than a clean fight on a rigger rod with just a spoon between you and the fish. I run flashers/dodgers off my dipseys 100% of the time though.

I'm off tomorrow, so should be out fishing. Give me a call if you want to share info on ch9 this weekend or my cell 4843021590.

Nick

Thanks Nick.

Sounds like I have to sink them first and run them

on the deep rigs if I'm gonna tow 'em off the riggers.

I wouldn't want a fish to fire off a spoon below them.

Sounds like a mess.

I probably won't make it out 'til Sun if at all this weekend.

I'll give you a shout.

Frank Cell 585.330.1574

CDS I personally only like to run the dodger/Fly combos off the wires, and run only spoons off the riggers.....It is something I learned from a Charter boat Captain.....I have not had any problems except for running a leadcore down the chute with the full spread....From now on the lead will be run off a church board or my big boards....Typical spread will have both wires with the dodger/flies and spoons off the riggers and the lead with a spoon depending on where the thermocline is.......Woody.

I will not be out this weekend as I have to run a couple cars to West Palm Beach and will be back monday afternoon.....We usually hang out on 08 or 09......I will be out next weekend on my boat the Mud Chicken call me if you are out there.....Woody..