ELK Hunting, 7mm Mag or 30-06

JR

I have a 7mm Mag & a 30-06 and Just wondering wich one would be better for ELK Hunting,

I'm sure there is some guys on here that have hunted ELK and would like your opinion .

Both are good calibers, the 7 having the edge in range, but the 06 having the weight and size advantage in projectile.Comes down to where you are hunting and the terrain for average yardage shots.

If it was me John, I would take the one you are most familiar with and use the other for backup in case of some failure of gun or scope. If your shots wiil be over 200 yds, the 7 would be the one..The ought 6 is a great woods round with it's heavier round.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

7 for the long shot like skippy said 300 yd no problem 400 very doable with some practice and hand loaded rounds for acuracy...need a guide , waterboy,ammo lugger............I had a friend reload some .270..6 rounds in a 1.25 in circle 3 touching off a bench at 100 yds, I was impressed with homeloads over factory....with 3 min cool time between each shot..very important..............i do have a few :lol: military loads for 30-06 you can shoot through a 8in oak and still drop the elk

Thanks Mark, i wish i was the one going but it's not, :(

My buddy asked to use one of mine but i wasn't sure witch would be better

I'll tell him to ask how far of of shots to exspect where they are

Ray i don't know if one of the guys going reloads or if the just buy factory rounds but i deff know that loading your own makes a big diff and will tell him to ask that too

One thing I feel is just as important as caliber selection is the quality of your optics. Out of the 2 calibers you mentioned, I would be more inclined to make my decision based upon which gun had the best scope.

Brian

i do have a few :lol: military loads for 30-06 you can shoot through a 8in oak and still drop the elk

30 Ball FMJ, 5 shot bandolier clips, 240 rounds per spam can. Really does go through a tree and keep on going. Lots of target-shooting fun, Ray.

I have taken two elk with a 7mm mag. All I can say is WOW. Small opening going in and a MASSIVE hole coming out the other side. I agree with the premise of taking both. Very easy when winded at high elevations to do something silly......like dropping your rifle down a rock slide :@ I have seen a bent barrel from a horse falling over on a scabbord also. Take both.