Kinks in copper

Question on trolling copper. Everyone says oh,no not another one! :lol: New to trolling copper. Have been trying it out recently in Cayuga. Seem to get alot of kinking near the end of the copper about 5 to 10 ft from the Spro swivel. I have been pulling only spoons. Any suggestions or corrections? Thank you for your time and sharing your input.

You can run spoons just fine w/ a high quality swivel. When you retrieve to change out just make sure you apply some decent pressure to the line by running it thru your pressed together index and thumb starting as soon as you start sensing that there isn't much resistance on the line. If you get a kink then just untwist the kink right then and smooth out the kinked section by rubbing the copper section with the kink on something curved (I like to use a Bert's rod holder).

If you follow this procedure and run your copper out on the big boards you should have relatively few problems with running copper. -Andy

I would go out on a limb and say you may be "dumping" (letting it out) it too fast. I have not seen this type of result in our copper rigs. We let ours out slow. Really slow. Keeping constant thumb pressure on the spool.