Sodus - Aug 10-12 - Do you smell that? Smells like skunk!

Aweful weekend out of Sodus.

The upwelling occured which usually means excellent fishing... not this weekend.

Friday afternoon: Had two hours before gf's brother arrived so took a spin to find some fish. Hit a king over 150fow with a dipsey out 150' green protroll green fly. Ran back in to pick a couple people up.

Friday night: Would have been one of our first skunks of the season if it wasn't for a 6oz king that hit a glow froggy as I was pulling lines... a skunk as far as I'm concerned. We marked a lot of bait but almost no fish.

Saturday morning: Started out in 350fow. Marked a lot of bait with a fish every once in a blue moon. Hit a 10lb king on a black/crushed ice spoon down 55' over 550fow. Later hit a 21lb king on a green protroll/green fly out 150' on a dipsey. Lost a steelie over 450fow on a firetiger spoon. That was it for the morning.

Saturday evening: Definite skunk. Worked from 100fow to 250fow, marked a bit of bait and a few more fish than we had been lately. Hope for sunday...

Sunday morning: Started out in 100fow. Didn't mark a thing when we set up. Trolled north for about 5 mins and hit a 15lb king on a 250' dipsey green protroll/green fly. While taking pictures of the first fish, hit a 8lber over 150fow with a dalmation spin doctor/green fly out 150'. Trolled back around to our earlier mark and hit another 15lb king on the green protroll now out 220' over 130fow. Waves picked up so we trolled north with them. Over 400fow and the leadcore just starts rippin! My gf, her brother and his gf were all asleep... boy does that sound wake people up fast! Her brother jumped on the rod and just sat there and held on. It never stopped until the reel had only 20 wraps of line left and I told him to tighten it down a bit.... he went a little overboard and completely tightened it :) I couldn't believe it didn't break, but the fish stopped like it hit a brick wall. We slowly got the fish in, thinking it was going to be a monster. Turned out to be a 15lb fish hooked in the side of the head.... but man what a fight! The leadcore had 9 colors out and a green flasher / green fly. We started trolling back in and had another rip on the green protroll/green fly dipsey out 250' over 300fow, ripped off 100foot of line and was gone. We headed in.

With the exception of Sunday, probably one of the worst weekends out of Sodus in a long time, especially considering it was August. We had to fish hard for our few fish and did a lot better than a lot of other boats. A lot of charters were back at the docks with very few fish. Sounds like other ports the fish were hot, some were not. Tough weekend.

The gf's brother with his 21lber:

DSCN1966.jpg

The gf's brother and his gf with a 10lber and 21lber:

DSCN1973.jpg

Two of our three 15lbers from Sunday (we threw the 8lber back and quickly realized why we usually keep small fish caught on dipseys - belly up):

DSCN1995.jpg

Nick

Nick good report I just got back in town late last night from running two cars to Florida for a guy out of the city......Sorry to hear fishing was not good this weekend I am hoping that things will settle down in the next day or so and I can get out for a Salmon or two......Nick are you coming up friday for the start of the derby or Saturday......I am not sure yet if I will be out on Friday......Woody....

We're not sure if we're taking Friday off or not. If we do, we'll be up late Thursday night and if we wake up in time we'll fish Friday morning. If we don't take off we'll be up Friday afternoon to fish Friday evening.

My depthraider should be delivered to the marina today, so I need to get out and play with it this weekend :)

Nick