mishandled or deformed at birth??

choo-choo

I caught this salmon back in october and was amazed that it could get so big and reach maturity with such a deformed mouth, nose and jaw. One tough and determined fish....could it have been ripped apart,mishandled as a skippy? What do you think...choo-choo steve

P1000273.jpg

P1000274.jpg

Capt. Vince...I think you are probably right that it was split open and healed over when it was young...I felt bad for the fish when I caught it, and thought about it going through life like that....I am guilty of being hasty and rough sometimes while "shaking" and releasing small fish.....i am going to a little more gentle and careful from now on.....choo-choo steve

Gambler....upper teens, nice laker.... I guess they learn to adapt with their deformities, maybe have to hunt more often due to not being quite as efficient...steve

could have gotten sliced up by the sharp fin points of something it tried to eat... or someone set the hook to hard... alot of amateur fishermen really yank back hard on the rod and cause damage to the fish (and break the line losing tackle) when really only a little pull is usually enough to do it.