Trailer Hubs

baytech05

I have had some pretty significant problems with my shorelander trailer over this summer. The the bundle frames which are attached to the axle were cracking and were dangerously close to snapping off of the main frame. This trailer is only a little over three years old so I was able to get the parts replaced under warranty but have other concerns about the trailers integrity.

This brings me a long way around to my question.

How often do you replace the hubs on your trailer. This is a trailer for a 16ft boat. I make a total of maybe 20 trip up to the lake in the spring and fall so 80% of the travel is highway, I grease the hubs prior to every trip as well. Does this play any roll on how often to replace the hubs? and last but not least is this a big job?

Thanks for any insight,

Baytech

Normally you don't have to replace the hubs unless you burn up the bearings and tear up the races. If you went three years and have not replaced the bearings jack the trailer up and spin the wheel and listen for noise like grinding and check for slop in the wheel. If you get noise pull the wheels and replace the bearing. Check the bearing races for ware,if there smooth they should be all right. Pack the bearing with grease before you put them back together. If your not a do it yourselfer take it to a dealer and have it done. As long as you grease before a trip you shouldn't have a problem. Its good to have a spare hub if you burn the bearings on the road. I think new bearing come with the hub, if they don't get them to. Good luck on the lake.

The wheel bearing grease you use is very important. Synthetic blue high temperature marine grade are things you should look for. Stay away from the brown wheel bearing grease. Also there is such a thing as using too much grease.

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. I won't have any time to take a look at it until labor day weekend. I will let you know how it goes. The only good thing is that my boat is located only about 15 mintues from cabela's so if I need parts I am right there.

Thanks Again,

Baytech

• 5 weeks later...

Well I managed to get the trailer jacked up and spin the tires. I spun them forward and backward and as fast and slow as I possible could. I heard no noise at all coming from the hubs. So everything sounded ok.....Well I took the boat to a local lake later that day and while the window was down I noticed a swooching sound. This only seems to occur as higher speeds > 40mph becasue when I slowed down the sound would stop.

Any ideas? It really sound like somthing is rubbing somewhere, but I have no idea what. I recently repalced two bad pieces of steel on the trailer (a whole other story) and thought this may have something to do with it but the replacement was farily simple and I had a dealer look at the trail to ok it's warranty.

I am headed up to the lake the next two weekends before I put the boat away for the year and i'm not really feeling comfortable with the 4 hour dirve.

Baytech