Warm winter = Bigger kings?

I was looking through our records at work and see that the lake temperature is 4 degrees warmer than it was 1 year ago today (36 degrees last year, 40 degrees today). 12/20/11 it was 7 degrees warmer than 12/20/10. If the lake is colder for a shorter period of time, are our kings going to be bigger? I would think the alewive population would be higher next year due to no winter kill. The rate we are going, Erie will not freeze and the spring fishing will be starting early. What are your thoughts?

I would say yes absolutely. I think the kings have taken advantage of the warm water and have had the feed bag strapped on like it was May for the past 3 months. I would expect fish to be at least 3-5 lbs bigger on average next year. WooHoo!!!

Tim

Sure looks that way, Brian. Most of the Kings head ultra deep for stability mid winter. It doesn't have to be real warm to have good growth continue, just not lots of frigid temps. When that happens Pacific Salmon can get into a subsistence mode--their metabolism slows to a point where growth stops. Also if we experience below normal temps, baitfish stocks can get crammed into less acres. This can result in the baitfish exhausting their food supply in the smaller band of water, and then a winter dieoff occurs. We have had just the opposite going on lately. The Alewife population is booming, and the the resurging Smelt population will put weight on Kings FAST!!! Replace those drag washers now!

I like the way you are thinking Brian! And Vince thats a good idea! Put away the river gear and start re rigging all my downrigger rods!!!