Bigger Boat - Hewescraft???

Big Water

I'm doing some long term planning and would like to get a bigger boat within the next year or two. Basically, I'm looking for a boat with outboard engines in the 24-26' range. I'm also strongly considering an aluminum boat due to the lower trailoring weight, boat gasoline consumption and lower overall maintenance (I will be fishing many bodies of water including the great lakes, finger lakes, Chesapeake and ocean). I'm looking for a boat with a head, sleeping area and enclosed cockpit. To make a long story short, I'm leaning towards a Hewescraft Alaskan or Pacific Cruiser. Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer and can you give me the pros and cons of a bigger aluminum boat for large bodies of water.

Thanks,

Doug

I believe Iceman just bought a Hewescraft from Calumet new last season. I don't think it was quite that big, but perhaps he'll chime in now that he has a season on it under his belt.

In the unlikely event I was ever going to go aluminum, chances are really good it would be one of the bigger Hewescraft Pilothouse Models.

Tim

Doug,

Last spring, I observed at the WHI aboard a 26 foot, center console Pacific with full canvas. It was a beautiful boat to fish from and handled Ontario quite nicely.

I was impressed with the quality construction of the boat. All seems were full weld- no tacks.

The Web address is: http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_023.php

If you would like more information, send me a PM, and I can give you the captains name and phone.

Jim

For all the features you are looking for........I think you will have better luck finding something in fiberglass.

Right...and it's a huge misconception that a fully rigged aluminum boat weighs less than glass, they usually weigh about the same. However not all glass boats are considered equal either. If you compare a 28 Carolina to a 28 Baha Cruiser you'll find they they are tons off from each other.

My buddy has a 32 carolina that weight 24,000 buddy has a 29 baha weighs 12,500.

A Quality built aluminum boat isn't light. Ranger and Lund walleye boats weight the same.

Hi Doug....... Lets see, being a glass man my $.02 is have a look at these May-Craft glass boats. I've seen them at a dealer in Virginia and they make a real nice trolling boat.

This one falls into the size (25'6) you are looking for and 3,600lbs dry weight is as light as a HewesCraft.

http://www.may-craft.com/model_2550pilotxl.php

Boy it's fun to spend someone elses money :lol::smirk:

Thanks for all of the replies guys!!

I think a general statement can be made that aluminum boats are lighter when compared to a similarly sturdy fibreglass boat, and when I look at the features of the 26' Pacific cruiser with galley, cuddy and dinette, I think 4900 lbs is a pretty light boat comparatively.

Is there some real disadvantage you see to an aluminum boat? It seems that the overall minimal maintenance, fuel consumption and available options for the price are big advantages. I've also heard, possibly mistakenly, that aluminum boats hold their resale value better. I realize I see very few of them on the O, but there aren't really a lot of manufacturers. Keep the comments coming because I'm learning and have some time to sort through this matter.

Thanks,

Doug

As I posted, I like my Crestliner. Lots of room, tons of freeboard, fast and economical with 260 merc.

What I don't like, The hardtop turns this thing into one nasty B..... when trying to dock on a windy day!

And, when trolling in rough seas, a real handful at the helm.

I have been looking at Hewes craft as well as my next boat a few years down the road. Another boat company that is not aluminum but did catch my eye is ospreyboats.com. Check it out. Nice pilot house boat.

Dear Doug,

No matter what you buy, go for a ride in one FIRST! Aluminum boats in the NorthWest US Style are very rugged built and have many different bottom shapes and intended uses. You should look for a combo bottom...Lake & Bay style bottom usually a 12 to 15 degree aft "V"deadrise. A lot of the western river boats are set up with very flat bottoms (called sled bottoms) with 1/4 inch thick HDPE bolted to the 3/16 or 1/4" thickness aluminum bottom. This is for traversing gravel bars!! Your choice of Twin outboards is the way to go for minimum weight and high performance for your intended use. An aluminum western style boat is not light! Almost as heavy as a comparable fiberglass boat. An aluminum boat such as Hewes, Duckworth etc. will last your lifetime. Most of the fiberglass boats from the 1980's have many hull problems and aging problems. The aluminum plate boats are readily repairable and will survive almost any collision. Example: I hit the sunken verticle end of a 6 inch diameter bridge piling at 30 MPH in the Upper Genesse River. Had four people aboard including another Captain friend. The hit was on the port side half way up to the chine. We examined the bottom after putting it back on the trailer. The only evidence of contact was a shiny mark from stem to stern. No visible or physical deformation could be found! The boat came out of the water about a foot and came down straight...luckily no one was injured but the 15 mile trip back to the launch ramp was very nervous for everyone! A fiberglass boat would have a huge hole in it!! This was a 23' ft. Stanley/Connors Industries hull that I had built in 1998 in Parry Sound Ontario, Canada. They do very nice metal work and have the only rounded transom corners in the Industry.(705-746-5875).....I sold the boat this past spring to another intense boat lover who researched aluminum boats for a year. He couldn't find one east of the Mississippi.....And now the only problem is cost and freight charges. A new one will cost over 100K with engines. Used HD aluminum boats are very very hard to find. I gave up in 1997 and had a hull built. ...And one of the finest fishing boats (in aluminum) built...Stryker...will cost you a winning lottery ticket!....

Respectfull Submitted, Ex Jet Boat Bill

Most of the Aluminum boats produced come out of Washington, Oregon and Idaho. The majority are cookie cuter designs that may or may not fit your desires. If the boat is for commercial use, I would be extremely selective. With that said, I found that an 18* variable hull worked very well for me. I could stay when others would run. The advantage was we were not bounced around like ping pong balls. The platform was stable compared to the roll of others.

I took the time to visit some boat shows and get a close look at all the different manufacturers boats. Some of them the factory welds were sloppy and the slag was left behind to be painted over. It was crazy. Design and purpose along with the comfort and overall use comes to play. How the boat is outfitted and what and where the gauges and electronics go.

I went through two factories. One I went through twice. I researched the factories and found that the one I went through twice was in trouble. It went out of business several months later.

My decision was in buying a high end boat Motion Marine Mojet LX. This may or may not fit your ticket. But look at the web site and the finish of the craft. The powder coat paint held up to all kinds of abuse from me. ( I knocked down my fence when backing up the driveway.)

http://www.motionmarine.com

Dale

• 1 month later...