E85 costs versus pure gasoline comparison.

jimski2

Green technology is a nice thought, but to go full blown into all aspects of it is not really for the "Americans". A vote to bring back real values vested in America's own resources that are already working to benefit us would be a great place to start. Not by placing moratoriums on drilling for oil or by denying Americans of trade with friendly countries who wish to share their resource riches with us, such as the oil pipeline from Canada. The current administration has shown little interest in what really works here. There are very few things that all this energy independence divergence to "green" has done for this country, and has cost us all dearly in our own pockets.

Putting corn squeezing in our fuel tank robs us of fuel mileage and power and creates more service problems that cost extra money from additives and rubber parts degradation. Same with bio diesel. I would rather see the food stay on the table. as for the environment, well I see all the natural gas needed to render down the corn juice. I can't believe it has replaced the "carbon footprint" by anything. Maybe the price of gas and diesel would not go down if it was pure with no bio fuel but on the other hand have any of you seen the price of gas go down by putting more bio based fuel in the tank at the gas station? So what is it's benefit to the end consumer?

Sorry for the rant on Washington, but what are we going to vote on was asked. Someone who is interested in "WE THE PEOPLE"...thanks

In the title of the post the fuel was refered to as E-85 in comparison to 100 % gas. I will say that an engine designed to run on the lower energy output of 85% ethanol is an improvement as far as reliability in a reason to accept it as a energy replacement for fossil fuel. however I believe the efficiency goes down in our colder climates and then the blend will be more predominately gasoline to compensate for it. These engines are unique in the way they use alcohol fuel, but they are not cheap if anyone wants to buy one. What the heck an Indy car burns alcohol in a four cylinder engine and produces nearly 1000 hp from it, but I don't think the average American can afford those engines. Therein lies the problem, for most of us the cost of technology advancements in vehicles designed to make use of the newer fuels is placed squarely on the consumers shoulders. You want it?... you pay for it and if it makes you feel good, ....well that is sorta like a guy wetting his pants in a dark suit...nobody notices but you get a warm feeling. And by the way, we are subsidizing this “renewable energy†to the tune of 50 taxpayer-paid cents per gallon. The federal government provides a tax incentive to gasoline blenders (not ethanol producers) to encourage the use of ethanol. This subsidy affects how ethanol’s competitiveness with gasoline. When they find a closed loop system of renewable bio fuel that will actually work where we don't exchange one fuel cycle for another then we will have progress but lets keep at least what we can use for now...our own oil...here...in the USA and Canada.

Mark

Mark

Problem is that this ethanol was in place prior to this administration. No matter a Dem. Or Rep. In office our politicians are getting their share of wealth while the ordinary folk suffers. Wish it was just as easy as voting one person out.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Problem is that this ethanol was in place prior to this administration. No matter a Dem. Or Rep. In office our politicians are getting their share of wealth while the ordinary folk suffers. Wish it was just as easy as voting one person out.

That's true trenchfisherman, I wasn't placing a blame on any particular administration for starting it, but merely trying to make a point that this administration is perpetuating a poor decision based on their betterment, not ours as a nation. We have time to aim, fire and shoot only a few alternative energy bullets (along with reducing our energy footprint as a culture). Corn ethanol is a misguided shoot from the hip national waste of one of these precious bullets. I too am tired of rehashing these arguments, but smart well intentioned people are confused. 3 ethanol plants are being built every month, and a year from now there will be 8 built every month, largely coal fired. When the grain ethanol bullet is fired, it will take a decade before the bullet stops. Which is why its important to not go down this path, at least not nationally. As a result of the beautiful US Government subsidies to produce bio-ethanol fuels, and the new legislative mandate, the US refinery industry is investing big time in building new special ethanol distilleries, similar to oil refineries, except they produce ethanol fuel. The number currently under construction exceeds the total number of oil refineries built in the US over the past 25 years. When finished in the next 2-3 years the demand for corn and other grain to make ethanol for car fuel will double from present levels.

Sticker shock at the pump will transgress to sticker shock on the food shelves....oh yeah, wait I remember the price of kelloggs corn flakes was really shocking..how bout anyone else...with kids who like their cereal?

I totally agree with you on all of this...just seems like no matter if we have ethanol in our gas or not we have these stock brokers running up our commodities. A good place to start is putting a stop to trading on oil futures as well as your point. Politics are crappy and we all have to live with it, its even worse when it interferes with fishing!

Anyway, to get back to the question I think that time and the American people getting kicked between the legs so bad that the people unify instead of pick a side. I think that the majority of the people want the same things in our country but our party system purposely divides while they laugh at us behind closed doors. In my eyes the tea party and Occupy are not that much off if u get down to it. Maybe they should unify and we can take back our beautiful land.

A friend reported that after filling up his Honda pickup with pure gasoline, from a station in Pendleton, His mileage meter showed an increase from 16 MPG to 21 MPG. .

The same thing here, my wifes car was getting a lot less than expected and less than the start of "winter" season. Drove over to Pittsford station selling straight gas, immediately there was a 4 to 5 mile per gallon difference. Put the corn back in my kids cereal and stop screwing with the BTU output of my gas. Amazing how much better my Husqavarna chain saw runs on real gas. Almost like having a "hot" saw in my hands