Determining your trolling speed.

I will equipping a new boat with new electronics this spring. I will purchase a Gen2 HDS7 by Lowrance. I have two other Lowrance units on two separate boats. One is a GPS/fishfinder and one is a fishfinder only. Both have the paddle wheel for boat speed. That is how I determine my boat speed while trolling. I have never used the SOG (speed over ground) feature of the GPS unit to troll with. The new boat with the HDS7 will be used in the current of the St. Lawerence River near Cape Vincent and out into Lake Ontario to Henderson Harbor. Should I bother with a paddle wheel transducer on the new unit or just get used to the SOG feature of the GPS? How to you determine your boat speed while trolling?

Dennis

I determine trolling speed only by GPS (sog) and/or by down speed from my Moor Sub Troll unit. The ability to duplicate successful speeds is a big key to trolling. A paddle wheel doesnt give you the same measurement accuracy of speed that a GPS or a down speed unit will give you. A gps unit is a great tool for SOG but what it doesnt take into consideration is current. A down speed will always be your best bet for trolling speed by giving you speed at the lure.

When trolling you are trying to duplicate the speed that the fish are hitting the best.

Both units will differ, the paddle wheel, I feel is the most inaccurate of the three.

If you don't have a down speed and temp unit use the GPS sog feature to duplicate the

speed at which the fish seem to bite the best. But remember that this might only work in one direction because of the down currents and wind.

The perfect trolling speed measurements are made at the depth that your lure is at. There are many underwater currents. Heck your lure may lay still in the water or move at 4 MPH while your gps says 3MPH and your finshfinder paddle says 1MPH and both are correct. The only way to properly measure trolling speed is at the ball. Bite the bullet and buy a fish hawk X4