2012 Shakedown

Hello All,

I often make my first trip of the year alone, so my friends don't have to put up with me as I sort out the kinks. And kinks I did have, but still caught a nice bunch of fish today.

There was a threat of fog, but the ceiling didn't drop until I was already out there. It was wierd, enshrouded in my little 50 yard bubble. Without a compass or GPS, my depth was the only thing that gave a clue as to where I was. Without wind or apparent location of the sun, there was nothing at all to fix on for navigation. I had to look behind me to tell if the boat was pointed straight. Hoo boy.

My one year old kicker didn't cooperate either. It started right away, ran choppily for an hour or so, and died without a cough for the rest of the day. Had to use the main motor to rescue my trip. Good thing I have the trolling plate. Sucked that 4 dollar gas pretty hard though!

Despite these troubles, the fish were present and lit up the graph everywhere along the 130-190 foot contour. Landed 10-12 up to 28 inches. Many lamprey hits on the fish, and had to stomp on one eel to get it off the fish I just landed. They're getting pretty bad.

SenFirst28.jpg

Missed several more. Despite the calm and bright sun, they were still biting steady when I quit at 1:00. I was getting tired and hungry, and had a 2 hour drive home. Felt funny driving right past Canandaigua and Keuka on my way to Severne, but Seneca is usually worth the extra distance.

Lots of perch fishermen out there. No idea how they did. Perch guys aren't chatty at the launch the way lake trout fishermen are. At least they pointed my way back to the launch. When the fog cleared, I couldn't see the Dresden stacks or the Navy Barge, so I was glad to get a point-out. Lesson learned. I will keep a compass in my boat from now on!

Pete Collin

http://www.pcforestry.com