Knots for wire line?

Just bought some stuff from A-TOM-MIK for a wire set up. As on most forums I hate the search because seem so hard to find the info your after. Can anyone tell me what knots they use for both starting it on the reel and also what they like to use to attach the swivel or liter? I gave up after tring the search feature.

Thanks in advance

Len

To tie it to the real you actually tape it down using duct tape. Go around the spool with it once or twice and then use a piece of duct tape as wide as the whole spool and wrap it right around over itself. This gives the wire you now are going to wrap around the spool something to bite into. Remember keep the wire on the reel and off the wire spool always tight and straight - no loose ends, no kinks. Do this right and the rest works like magic.

For the fishing end of the wire line, use a swivel tied to the wire, probably a quick connect will be the best so you can snap dipsy's on and off quickly. This is what I use to tie the swivel to the wire and it has never failed me, and it never will. It is as simple as it gets:

http://lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

Mark

Food for thought - A level wind reel will have optimum drag performance if the spool is full. Most 1000 foot sppols of wire will not fill a size 30, 47, or 320 level wind reel. We like to add 20# mono on the reel first, usually around 20 level wind passes, then connect the wire to the mono with a nail knot. (Video also on the Fish Doctor site) If you are filling two reels, you can fill one with the wire first, then the mono, then reverse everything onto the other reel. Watch the line counter or count the passes and you will know exactly how munch mono to load first on the 2nd reel to fill the spool.

I don't know Jeff, Every time I've spooled up my SG47LCA wire diver reels with new wire, a 1000' spool of 30 lb Malin filled it perfectly with no backing. I know in theory, you should never get down that far for it to be an issue, but personally, I don't want any more knots in the system that are absolutely necessary.

Tim

We too just spooled some 47diawas with 30lb Malin 1000ft. 1000ft fit pefect.Mabe Jeff runs 20llb hence he can fit more on. I would be leary of backing wire with mono. I would "Think" that the wire would be hard on the mono and abraid/fracture/weeken it. Though I said "think" I am all for pushng the envelope on what works, works, and getting by. I saved my 30lb. fire line to back my wire up with after a few "mistakes" and lost wire. I'd rather run 700ft of wire with backing than 700ft with nothing.

I have the Convector 30's coming. I ordered the Eagle Claw Starfire 10' diver rod with twilly tips from A-TOM-MIK along with two 30 lb. Camo 1000' spools. I figured that was a great set up after all I had read here. Was thinking the 20# but since I am new to this type of fishing I wanted any advantage to be in my hands not the fish.

Ducks, I cracked two 9 foot starfire rods last year. One pulling up a 20 lb laker, and then other pulling in a violent 22 lb king. I switched to 10' Rapala RSC's. Both the starfires and RSC's have roller guides, which I swear buy.

I couldn't recommend the starfires based on what happened. It wasn't a crazy amount of strain, but both rods exploded on seperate occasions about 12" up from the reel.

I could recommend the Rapala RSC's though - they are 100 times better to work with.

I couldn't recommend the starfires based on what happened. It wasn't a crazy amount of strain, but both rods exploded on seperate occasions about 12" up from the reel.

Already have them here at the house. Not looking forward to that happening thats for sure. Damn. Just waiting on the reels now in order to set them up.

Not sure what the problem was with Marks, but there are lots of guys running the Starfire diver rods out there without issue. Maybe his got damaged somehow without him realizing it. I wouldn't worry about it, stuff happens.

Tim