Did you modify otter boats??

I am trying to find out what are the best modifications to be made to double keel otter boats. I have run a set lately with a full and a half keel, with the loop at 10" in the front and 14" in the back. They seem to run fine with spring baits. I will probably only run 2 coppers off of them at the most. Any thoughts???

Bruce,

I am getting ready to do the same. And after talking to the guys at big jon was told to drill the two tow rope holes inline and 1" lower than the stock holes (I saw another post where someone did 3/4" lower verses the recommended 1"). BJ also gave me some starting fore and aft dimensions for the tow line, which were the standard 9" fore and 14" aft. To get the board to pull harder shorten (trial and error) the aft dimension as it gets the bow of the otter boat pointed more outward.

Jack

I posted awhile back about the hole being 3/4 in center to center lower than the originals.

Thats the dimension Big John gave me at that time when I ordered the second keels.

Anyway I did it and it works fine with the double keels and copper and didn't effect the functionality of the board when I'm running the single keels at slow speeds with light lines for the browns in the spring so I'm pleased with the modification.

Good luck guys.

Glen

Couple of assembly questions...

1) which side does the second (lighter) keel go... away from tow-line? or closest to it?

2) which way should the "L" of the weight point... away from the tow-line? or toward the tow-line?

Thanks,

Jack

And that you wouldn't have to buy extra stuff and modify the crap out of them to make em run right...

The Otter boats were right for the times when they were designed.

The copper craze started later so Big John adapted to it.

Modifications are only required if you want to run long coppers and take the abuse of the added weight and stress from the double keels.

The otter boats shine in rough conditions but not everybody fishes those conditions.

Glen

I am trying to find out what are the best modifications to be made to double keel otter boats. I have run a set lately with a full and a half keel, with the loop at 10" in the front and 14" in the back. They seem to run fine with spring baits. I will probably only run 2 coppers off of them at the most. Any thoughts???

Yeah, get some azak amish outfitter boards and run three coppers a mile long off 'em. ;)

I can't understand the love of the otter boats when they need to be cOmpletely upgraded and redesigned to work with junk lines. Must be an Ontario legend, don't see 'um on Erie much at all.

Do i need another boat to carry these azak boards reelpower?

No, they are collapsible. Both of my boards fit into a standard soft-sided bow case when not in use and collapsed. I put a piece of foam in between 'em to keep them from rubbing into each other.

Things pull like mad. Upgraded to Cisco electric planer board reels to avoid busting out the plastic Big Jon reels and to keep my rotator cuff in my shoulder.

Same with my Amish Outfitter Redwood boards, collapsible for storage, pulled like a @#$% right out of the box and they're cheaper than the Otters. I also went with the Cisco Electric Planer reels, all CNC machined aircraft aluminum, NO plastic at all, and the motors are twice the size of the Big Jon electric motors. I have em mounted on the rocket launcher on my hardtop. These boards pull so hard they just folded the plastic Wille planer reels I used to have mounted on the inside of my gunwales trying to reel them in.

Tim