Billy V Cayuga Lake shakedown report - April 29, 2012

The low water levels on Cayuga Lake have kept us from putting the boat in the water, but last weeks snow storm and the resulting run off gave us just enough water to get our season started. It's a full month later than I had hoped, but here it is - our 2012 shakedown report!

Dad, Jay, and I left Myers Point at 6:15 this morning and motored towards the south end. It was 24 degrees when we left the dock and it was all I could do to see where I was going with the ice that had built up on the windshield of the boat. We set up on the East side north of Esty point and put out a smorgasbord of Rapalas, Jr. Thundersticks, Thin Fins, and Super Slims. It didn't take long and we boated a nice healthy 3 lb brown. After that it was game on. We didn't go more than 10 minutes without an Atlantic or a Brown until we decided to call it quits at 10am - we were very busy in the back of the boat today! Most of the fish were 3-4 lbs but we had a few that were pushing 6-7 lbs. We stayed in 10-15 FOW and found temps to be 44-45 degrees, but we trolled into some 48 degree water at the far south end of the lake. There really wasn't much of a color pattern today - they took every color that we put out, but they did seem to prefer stick baits flatlined off of our planer boards over spoons on the riggers. Best speed for us was 2.6-2.7mph on our Cannon Intellitroll. Once the sun got up into the sky it became a slow pick and we decided to head back to the marina to work on the boat. I'm glad that we called it a day when we did because the wind kicked up pretty good out of the North shortly after we got back to the dock.

Fishing_2012_001.jpg

Fishing_2012_005.jpg

What a fun way to FINALLY get our season started!

Nice shakedown trip. Glad to hear the lake is coming back up. My boat just came out of storage. It'll b a week or two before it goes in. Hopefully, i'll have a good 1st report too.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Glad youre in Bill! You did better than we did. We have way too much bait sitting in the south end. The bite lasts for twenty minutes it seems. Fish are full fast! We caught sawbellies on our spoons...Must be dense!!