Lake Erie Eastern Basin Bite

fishkiller16

The bite slowed with the heat. We have been getting limits every morning from 5 am to 7:30 am straight North out of Barcelona Harbor to 68 ft.Three "D" worm harnesses, copper blade with watermelon tape. Six colors of leadcore with 2 ounces of weight one color up,1.8 mph.I report on Barcelona Harbor every day at www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

well im a little west of their for a few days Port clinton ohio, A couple we met in the keys live here and Chuck is almost as good as "all day ray" started with 4 in the box in 30 min moved a couple times to find mother load ..this is the first time i ever jigged for em kinda fun,actually real fun . I changed from what chuck tought me just a tad (fine tuned) and landed our last of 12 (3fish) in less than 5 min.if we go tomorrow them fish ant gotta chance he has fished here for over 20 yrs and is still shakin his head :lol: ,sometimes ya GOTTA teach a old dog a new trick fished from 6 to 3 with 2 hrs travel time nothing over 5 but in this area it sees heavy netting but the screen was full every inch.. a little west of Barcelonia but just wanted to share a good trip out...

Oh what a great day on the waters out of SBH buffalo. We set up in 56FOW and began running our chartreuse and gold blade harnesses. 3oz snaps 60 to 100 feet back. 8 walleyes with the two biggest close to 7lbs, and about 14 sheepsheed pie plates. Non stop action for the late shift 11 to 4pm. Fun time. The boy had a blast. (The last two days we were in toronto fishing kings).

Whats with the fish cleaning station? Damn thing is out of order again.

Did the early shift today. Lines down at 700AM, popped 4 fish by 730, then the lull to 10am. Nuts. Glad to see the lake fly population booming.

We had to go deeper 60+, but not by much. Same program, 3oz snaps and meat. Added more to the front though. 20 feet was spookin them (or so I think). I went to a 40 foot lead. Fish were higher, so only 45 and 55 back. (50 about 24 down @1.5). No big ones. All 3 to 4 lbs. Had a fun time on the water today. We ate, we pee'd in the water, we laughed, we caught walleye! They didnt like the 3D watermelon at all. All fish came on pink. Plenty of boats.

TIP: Get a fish, then work that depth. We spent some time east west trolling, crawling up the slope. Once we went north south, it was game on. Many thanks to Dan Stier and Vicious Line. We love it.

mattwalleye711b.jpg

mark wiffy still not up to par so i couldnt abandon her......i always run rigger, dypsy programs but on the riggers i run them back 125 to 150 ft seem to do well with long leads ..problem is i get mostly bigger fish... always tossed back the under 4lbs size after eatin some 17 to 25 in fish im gonna be tossin back anything over 4 lbs....oh well live and learn..

mark wiffy still not up to par so i couldnt abandon her......i always run rigger, dypsy programs but on the riggers i run them back 125 to 150 ft seem to do well with long leads ..problem is i get mostly bigger fish... always tossed back the under 4lbs size after eatin some 17 to 25 in fish im gonna be tossin back anything over 4 lbs....oh well live and learn..

Yeah Ray, I thought everyone knew that the 2 & 3 pounders are the best eaters!! Of course, I grew up in walleye country!!LOL :D:D:rofl:

Those under 20" are the tastiest. I wanted to make sure the boy got the message right from the start....big fish go back, especially walleyes.

I like the rigger idea, but those long leads, yikes. I see tangle central on my end. I have been working with divers and jets, just dont have the confidence yet. My snap weight program has been very, very good to me. So, tend to rely on what works.

decent day on the pond today, 8 yellows between 6-8lbs, dropped half as many.

threw a little bit of everything at them. only the riggers were dead. boards (40 jets and 2-3 oz snap weights) and dispys produced.

black/pink sgl hatchet harnesses, hammered copper/watermelon dbl colorado harnesses, chartreuse/pink-head reef 800 runners and chartreuse/red-head deep husky jerks DH-12. cranks worked equally well as the harnesses.

short hour long bite between 7-8am while clouds were out, then the sun appeared and nada more

ALOT of bait and FISH directly off Abino on the fence (60-65 fow), 1.6 mph down speed did the trick for us

Riggers no prob i run them 130 ft plus back never tangled. I even run lead core out the chute up to 10 colors over them only tangles happen if wind catches ya in a turn and lead core drops cause you turn to fast. I run dipsys way out also. Just do it youll get used to it fast. I do not stack though.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We had a good day considering the time frame. We fished 10 to 2pm. Short trip with Bob.

We ran meat off the fence in 61 FOW. 1.5 at the dash. 3 oz snap weight of course. We had to go deeper. 80 to 90 back. We got two. 1-4lb, and 1-6lber. Good day out. Pink worked good. May try to run hooks tomorrow.

Gonna try again tomorrow on the late shift, 12 to 6.

We had a good day considering the time frame. We fished 10 to 2pm. Short trip with Bob.

We ran meat off the fence in 61 FOW. 1.5 at the dash. 3 oz snap weight of course. We had to go deeper. 80 to 90 back. We got two. 1-4lb, and 1-6lber. Good day out. Pink worked good. May try to run hooks tomorrow.

Gonna try again tomorrow on the late shift, 12 to 6.

mark, it was an early morning bite yesterday, the bite died when the bright sun came out

Hit the water off the Catt. Saturday with almost no boat traffic. A school of 3-4.5 lb males have moved in if you are looking for some good eaters. Ran bottom rigger, an 8oz torpedo, 2 oz torpedo, 5, 6 colors of lead. Hot rod was the 2oz torpedo back 150-165'. The trash fish were not too bad. Walleyes wanted a small chartreuse blade. Larger 3D blades only took one fish. Fish wanted it slow 1.4-1.5 mph. Trolled from 6:45 til 11:00 starting in 58' out to 78' (where the screen went blank) and then back in. Lost only big fish at the back of the boat ;( , but got some nice fillets for my fish fry fix. Bucket list checked off ......now back to Ontario for fish that can pull drag! Concentrate in the 60'-70' band of water.......have at 'em.

Hit the water off the Catt. Saturday with almost no boat traffic. A school of 3-4.5 lb males have moved in if you are looking for some good eaters. Ran bottom rigger, an 8oz torpedo, 2 oz torpedo, 5, 6 colors of lead. Hot rod was the 2oz torpedo back 150-165'. The trash fish were not too bad. Walleyes wanted a small chartreuse blade. Larger 3D blades only took one fish. Fish wanted it slow 1.4-1.5 mph. Trolled from 6:45 til 11:00 starting in 58' out to 78' (where the screen went blank) and then back in. Lost only big fish at the back of the boat ;( , but got some nice fillets for my fish fry fix. Bucket list checked off ......now back to Ontario for fish that can pull drag! Concentrate in the 60'-70' band of water.......have at 'em.

I hear ya on fish that pull drag :(

thanks for the report!

Use braid with mono leader. Attach torpedo with OR-16 orange release to braid. Reset line counter and deploy using the dive curve chart provided to target the depths you want to hit. Fish are scattered all over the column so anything from a three color down to the bottom. The torpedos get kudos for telgraphing the little white perch, silver bass and yellow perch better than leadcore. :yes::yes:

mark get a hold of me ill get ya all set up for the torpedos im one of the prostaff coordinators for torpedo divers we catch a "few" walleyes with our torpedo program.

Jim, what are the advantages of a torpedo diver over a snap weight for Erie walleye fishing?