Leadcore questions

I am really liking my new leadcore setup. I have rigged 2 - 8'6" medium actions rods with 27lb 10 color cores with 100yds of braid backing. I had a couple questions though.

1) I have heard people mention running the core off of inline boards. Does anyone have any advice on this setup? How big of a board to run a full core with drop weight? I am new to inline boards so any advice would be great. Also this may be stupid, but how obvious is it when there is a fish on? I am sure a big fish would really pull or sink the board, but what about something in the 2-4 lb range? Do the tattle flags work?

2) As the fish go deeper into the summer, I am planning on adding some drop weights. I bought some offshore drop weight releases (look like little planar board releases), but not sure what to buy for the weights. How big, what shape etc...

Thanks in advance for any info. I am hoping to get out on Seneca this weekend with my girlfriend. I have been showing her pics and bragging of my catches and now she wants to see for herself, the pressure is on.............

The ten color core is great. I do not add any extra weight to this setup as it produces year round. As far as connecting to a board, I run the Church Boards tx-22. These work good. Some guys run the specific walleye boards or the tx-44 boards. What I do is connect it right where the lead meets the backing. I use however, a 50 pound leader to connect the board to. The braid will wear out eventually from the board but a piece of mono will not. Now when you let the board out to where you prefer it to be, What i do is set the drag with the clicker on. Set it so the smallest disruption in the pull of the board makes her click! When you hit a nice fish, she will scream!! Plus the big ones will even pull them under! BOBBER DOWN! :clap: Its like blue gill fishing all over again. Even the little dinks will make the board run awkward. They are a great way to enlarge your spread! :yes::yes: It's more noticeable than you would think to realize a fish is on.

Good luck and tight lines!!

Nick

I have run 10 colors off of the yellow Off shore boards as well. It would be nice if they were a little bigger, but it gets the job done. Ran them for walleyes on erie and they work well. Only thing is make sure they are set deep if you are fishing rough water, you don't want to lose them considering the price tag. I have never had any trouble with the fleas (on Cayuga), maybe due to the large line diameter? That is a good tip on the drag setting, kind of like running a wire dipsy.

Screamin' Reels,

DJ

I prefer to run all my lead core off of big boards (otter boats). I will use the scotty power grip releases and put a shower curtain hook on the end to slide it down the the planer line easier. We have had great success with that and it gives you the freedom to pull up to 600 copper right next to a 10 color core. We also set the clickers light so you hear the fish before you see it.

Snap weights will keep weeds from working their way down to the lure. Clip them on way ahead of the leader.

Yes , some sort of weight or swivel inline will gather what ever weeds slide down the core, ahead of the flouro.

I love 10 color core, it was taking LL's all summer on Cayuga last year!!! No problem with fleas as long as you pull a heavier flouro leader..30lbs Seagar flouro 8)

good luck man!!! :beer: