Cayuga 6/24

@Hermit that is very helpful information... and the pictures are great... I hope I can switch my fish-finder so that it shows lines instead of little fish icons... Never knew I was supposed to be using the other mode...

The site looks great and ill be reading through what you have there about jigging in full (tonight).

@Guff - Thanks for the encouragement and pointers.. ill read through the jigging guide on the site in full tonight...

Ill be out on Cayuga this weekend trying to put what I read into action...

Welcome back Hermit! Great to hear that your back in the action.

One of the main reasons that I have primarily switched to jigging is fealing the hook set! You are simply robbed of this sensation while trolling. As noted, some species just need to be trolled for productivity.

For those of you new at this, time on the water is key!

Lavarock

Thanks man! It's freaking awesome to be fishing again. :yes: You guys are great, this board rocks, have to get the fishing fix somewhere if not on the water...

(Also spent some time updating the jigging info. It's a start anyway.)

Hermit great report and greater info on jigging. for lakes. For over 30 years I have down digger fish but after reading your info on jigging going to give it a go next week. Deans cove is not very far from my camp on seneca so will spend a few days on that fine lake. My wife is always jig fishing for bass and pan fish and grows sick of being my gilligan driving the boat as l tend the RIGGERS You might have TAUGHTa old dog a new trick and I can still fish for lakes atheists wife can do more jig fishing less driving. GREAT INFO HERMIT KEEP IT COMING

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hit the north end of Seneca (Belhurst area) today 7:30- 5:00. Slow but steady bite all day. 11 total with 7 over 28"to 31". There are a lot of LT in water shallower but the ones in 100-125 were the best feeders. They really liked chartreuse flukes with and with out silver flecks on 1 oz. jig. 4 boats fishing the area all day (including John Gaulke). Last year the LT in the same area turned on just about this time and jigging was good right into early September. I think the bite before 7:30 may have been very good but 9.5 hours of jigging is about all I can handle.

Yes- new@this. Need fish arches, not symbols. Good luck. Let us know how you do. Hermit- See, you helped somebody out already. Good job!

Hey all,

Well here goes the first report on my quest to conquer the art of Jigging... I picked up some braided line and some fluorocarbon for the 10 foot leader (following the Hermit's site). I put it on a Medium action Ugly Stick with a Bait-caster reel. I headed up to Longpoint on the 4th to try out the new gear, unfortunately I didn't yield any results or bites even... but I plan to try out by AES this weekend.

I am however having a hard time finding some Jigging lures like the ones on the site. The only ones I currently have are a 1oz ball with a hook and a plastic 4" minnow. If anyone knows of any place semi-local to Ithaca that carries good Jigging lures I'm ready to buy some .

I have figured out how to switch the Fishfinder over so it shows fish arches (lines) now instead of symbols.

Thanks again for all the advice/guidance...

Ill post again with results from this weekend.

Hi new@this- 2 of us hit north end of Seneca July 4th. We fished all morning and only got 2. Zero after 8:15. They were in a very negative mode. Maybe full moon ??? LOTS of chasers but few biters. Sounds like Hermit did great on Cayuga but only up to 9:30.

I headed up to Longpoint on the 4th to try out the new gear, unfortunately I didn't yield any results or bites even... but I plan to try out by AES this weekend.

I am however having a hard time finding some Jigging lures like the ones on the site. The only ones I currently have are a 1oz ball with a hook and a plastic 4" minnow. If anyone knows of any place semi-local to Ithaca that carries good Jigging lures I'm ready to buy some .

North of Long Point is also very good, should be fish there but haven't been yet this year. Motor around at 4-6 mph looking for bait or hooks in 75-90 fow.

And the 1oz ball with 3-4" soft plastic is what I use 98% of the time so don't worry too much about other stuff. Most plastics work well so don't worry about that much either, white/green/shad colors.

It's really all about the action. If all else fails drop reel repeat, and if you see stuff on the sonar start reeling before the fish gets to it- you are trying to imitate a fleeing baitfish. It's pretty active and I spend a lot of time reeling at various speeds. Don't leave it on the bottom for more than 30 seconds. Also if you feel anything funny even the lightest tap start reeling. Once it clicks you'll start getting into them. Good luck.

Guff ouch tough fishing sorry to hear that.

Alec I'll be at camp most of next week (7-9 ,10 , 11 )

for sure if you want to hook up let me know , I'll trailer over to Cayuga , Dean cove or Tunk-Falls which ever you think would be better for the sliver fish !

PM me or reply here which ever !!! :yes: stay cool today !!!! 8)