Hot Lure: spin doctor flasher & home-made fly

Trolling Speed: 1.9 - 2.5

Down Speed: ?

Boat Depth: 75 - 150

Lure Depth: 70

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

I saw a good weather report and took a day of vacation to troll in my kayak. I started at around 100 FOW and trolled North East. When I heard Steve (Lund SSS) on the radio say that he was on kings around 100 FOW near a visible break in surface texture, I knew I was in a good location. At around 110 FOW I hooked into a drag screamer. I guess that I horsed it too much because he bent the hook and got off.

Not long after, I hooked into and landed the largest fish of my life, a 38" king. My digital scale measured 23 lb with his tail and a few inches of meat in the water. I knew he was heavier than that and decided to keep him. Later when I got home he weighed in at 26.0 lb. I took a couple of photos but was afraid that they weren't any good. So I called Steve on the radio and asked if he could take a photo, which he did. Thanks Steve, I'd like to see that shot some time if it came out OK.

Later I landed a 9 lb steelhead in 135 FOW.

It was a good day - the fish were feeding. From what I heard on the radio, everybody was into fish.

Despite surface temp in the 70's, I saw bait jumping out of the water and salmon slashing at them on the surface between 75 FOW & 135 FOW on numerous occassions. I wish that I had a spinning rod on board!

26lb_38in_king_salmon.jpg

Jude was great seeing you out there, my old man is still in aw that you row for over 6 hrs. to "troll" for our great kings. Here's the pic you are looking for hope it's OK 4fe42761.jpg. Congrats on a new personal best 26lbs. is a great salmon for mid summer. :yes: keep up the good work