New to deep water fishing

Hi everyone, I'm new here and hopefully can add to the forum. I've been reading LOU for about a month now...trying to learn as much as I can about deep water fishing. I'm an old school bass fisherman, converted to walleye and stream fisherman, and now trolling. I recently bought a Starcraft Superfisherman brand new, and love it. It is a great boat for bass, walleye and I would say trolling if I could catch anything!

I've been to Seneca 4 times over the past 2 months and managed to catch 2 small salmon and a pike. I've adapted my presentation based on reports here. Last Saturday, I trolled the west side from Watkins to N of the salt plant and struggled with fleas. I went to the east side and the fleas were just as bad by Hector. I gave up just as the rain came.

This is the setup I ran last time out:

Two dipsy rods, one out to a distance that was supposed to be 35' down, a second at 55' down. The third dipsy was in the prop wash about 60' back. We were seeing marks between 20 and 50'. Varied troll speed from 1.5 to 3.0 mph. Did S turns. Experimented with line out on the dipsies to vary depth. Ran flasher/fly combos and then spoons. Leaders were 8'. We marked a helluva lot of fish in front of Hector, ran through them EIGHT times with different setups and still no dice. :doh: Either I'm doing something wrong or maybe the fleas were just too bad? I saw 3 other boats with BIG spreads that seemed out of luck as well.

Any advice for a newbie? Should I try Cayuga instead?

Oh, I don't have DR's yet but I'm looking. Suggestions would be great here too!

Good luck to you all in the tourney on Sat!

Mosh

Mortigan, I'm using 14lb fireline for the "0" dipsy and 20lb fireline for the "1". I thought the small diameter would help translate to the dipsy chart

Hi to answer so of your ? The way fish is that I look for the 50 degree water . And I run 2.0 to 2.4 mph. On average I fish 50 to 100 ft down . We run a 9 to 12 rod spread with 4 dippys three downriggers and leadcores . My dippys are 2 up hi and 2 deep hi ones are out 230 to 250 on setting 3 and my deep ones are on 1.5 out 260 to 300 . The downriggers are down 50, 75 and 100 with sliders the middle one is the deepest . When I run leadcores I run a 3,5,7, and 10 color. By the way my dippys are 30 lbs wire it works the best for me . If tournament have any other ? Feel free to ask the best way to lean. Good luck fishing.

Capt. Aaron Dingy

Playin Hookey Charters

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Seneca is slow on south end till September, once on a while a good bite. You're presentations sound good. Try a bit further up the lake. Around Smith park area. Or try Cayuga once or twice. Better bite on that lake usually

Mortigan, I'm using 14lb fireline for the "0" dipsy and 20lb fireline for the "1". I thought the small diameter would help translate to the dipsy chart

If the fleas are out, most people running dipsies are using wire instead of braid because it cuts down on the buildup and cuts through the rest easier. Braid and fleas are a bad combination.

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep at it, just need that little bit of success so we don't get too discouraged.

I'm doing some searching on the forums for discussions around DR's. I was hoping to find a discussion about the pros/cons of Cannon vs Scotty vs Penn etc but haven't yet. Anybody seen anything like that? I could start a new topic I guess...

Ive run cannons for 30+years and never had a failure but recently have fished on several boats with Scottys and if you are ok with their physical appearance they seem to be a high quality downrigger and actually seemed to be a little easier to use - as LB88 said its like ford vs chevy

I am fairly new to this deep water stuff too . I got my boat last summer and struggled like you are experiencing . I picked up a used manual down rigger and my success has improved . I stacked two rods on one rigger last year with very limited luck on the fish . Over the winter I picked up a second manual rigger new a walker for around $200 . I started this year on Keuka in March running two riggers and two diver rods . divers were on fireline and I had very little luck on the divers but the riggers produced great . In May I switched one of the diver rods over to wire and it started getting more hits on it . Last week I switched the other diver over to wire . And so as of now I am running two wire diver rods and three rigger rods on two riggers . stacked on the one rigger and single on the other . I am doing ok on the trolling now I pick up a few fish on most of my outings now . welcome to the addiction of trolling . If I were you I would try Keuka to learn on .it is a little easier to find the fish there .

my riggers are one walker and one penn both manual . the penn is a little easier to crank up . but both get the job done .

I kinda figured it would come to preference. So...

Is there a model out there for <$500 that provides more performance for the buck? For example...

Looking at Cannon, they have PIC, short stop, etc. (Mag 5 ST: $399)

Scotty has tilt arm, low amp draw, fast retrieve. (depthpower 30, model 1114: $399)

others?

Treerat, I thought about manual riggers, but somewhere along the line I had my mind set on electric. Thanks for the other tips and encouragement, you are correct, it is a bit of an addiction!

Opinions are all good!

Thanks again guys!

Mosh

Just met Iron Duke @ HVS, what a great guy. He helped me out picking line and tackle, answering questions. If I can remember half of what he told me I should be catching fish soon!

Converting 1 dipsie rod to wire tonight, hopefully I can get out this weekend! Exciting stuff! :rock:

The wire rods are the way to go! Switch them all to wire for your dipsys and you will be better off. Sounds like you are up to high in the water column. Work the fifty to one twenty range out over deep water and run further north. Mike down at hills and Valleys will help you spend your money. LOL

Mosh, it was good to meet you too..These guys are all giving you good advice.... And as Sean mentioned when you get comfortable and figure out your Dipsys stop back down and we will get you going in your next setups... P.M. anytime with your Questions ...

Mike