Dipsey set ups

Looking for infro on how to set up a dipsy. What size? How far back do you run the flasher and fly? Do you use wire or mono?

Never ran one before, seems like a lot of kings are being caught on them.

Search for this - bud - I answer this question every week. My wrists are getting tired typing the same answer.

Here is the quick answer.

1000ft, 30 lb 7 strand wire to the dipsey.

6 ft 30# fluoro to the flasher

6 ft 30# fluoro to spoon or meat

3 ft 30# fluoro to fly

Mark

Rule of thumb seems to be starting at three times the length of the flasher and shorten from there based on what the fish are doing. Most use mono from the dipsy to the flasher so they get some shock absorption (it stretches a bit). Some (like Mark) prefer fluorocarbon here.

3 feet from flasher to fly seems long to me

As mentioned above it is dependant on the size of the flasher - I didn't want to start confusing the guy.

Trying to keep it simple so he can learn in moderation.

Flies normally come with their leads anyhow - so just use this.

Mark

It is important to have your leader from dipsey to your fly/spoon no longer than your rod length. Wont be able to get the fish to the net if its longer. BTW leader the length of the rod and 20 inch fly leaders seem to be the trick for us. I tie our own tourney tie flys on A-TOM-IC flys too. Good luck :yes:

50# Flourcarbon for your fly leader about 22-24 inches from head of fly to loop or swivel at the other end of the leader. I like 22 inches for trolling between 1.8 and 2.4 mph on an 8 inch flasher. You should increase the leader length a bit for trolling faster although, I took a number of fish (Kings, browns and lakers) at 2.7 last weekend on a 22 inch leader. In fact, 2.7 mph on a 22 inch leader filled my box for a paying place in the LSRC Saturday.