Snubber question

I just started fishing wire rigs with my dipsies and have lost a few fish (and tackle) due to using the same leaders as I was when fishing mono with the dipsies.

I was running the wire to dipsy to floro 20# to the SD and 50# for the fly. Ovbiously the floro doesnt stretch, and neither does the wire, so I was kind of shooting myself in the foot. I bought some #30 mono for my leaders as a buddy told me that would help out, but I was wondering about running snubbers with this setup- I guess it cant hurt, right?

My real question is what is the breaking strength of these snubbers? I bought a few rip cords yesterday and they look pretty chinsy. It looks like they are just held together by a little piece of melted plastic... I am not sure they would hold up to a 30+ pound fish, but who am I lol. Any information would be appreciated.

BTW, I always keep my drags set to the loosest setting possible without it ripping line at trolling speeds.

This is a subject for debate all the time, snubber, no snubber. the key is a reel with a good drag, then snubbers are not needed IMO. I use 30# wire 40# mono leader, not floro, to the attractor. when they are crashing a FF combo they are not exactly line shy.

And I also keep the drag set as tight as possible with enough drag to keep the rod from breaking in half (better hook ups), then adjust it after the hook up. If I'm running spoons off the wire I will go down to 20# or more, depending on the class of fish.

i use snubbers above the diver, that way waves dont release the divers and the drag can be tight enough to set the hook. if your line is breaking, 30 lb line is necessary for a leader to flasher. if your breaking 30 lb, your doing something wrong with your knots. im using 20 lb berkely vanish for a leader to flasher, never had a problem. i run just straight 14 lb cajun red on the downrigger rods. makes a 30 lber feel pretty big but still only been stripped 600 yds by a 31 lb angry mud marlin. its all about your drag and your knots, weather or not your landing fish and reusing tackle.

Thanks for the input! I always tie trilene knots I think the big issue was running non stretch lighter line. The fish that whacked the dipsies seemed pretty big (ripped out 50ft of line before I even got to the rod, so that may have also been an issue.

Headed out tonight to try the new gear out! Hopefully I'll have enough luck to actually test out the new rig :lol: