Non- E gas in Ovid

Yeah I just started getting gas at the Fastrac in Ithaca, happy to see it made it here. A little out of the way but that's okay, I'll be filling my vehicles with it too- I think the better mileage makes up for the price difference.

I ran the 91 in my 1988 before all the time , also in lawnmowers.............. Just wondering about my 4 stroke ?????

Best thing to do is contact the manufacturer of the engine. I'm sure they can set you straight.

About better mileage.

Right now 90% of your fuel is straight gas and 10% is ethanol. Ethanol,although it is a much higher octane, has only about 66% of the energy that regular gas has. The 10% ethanol has only about 2/3s the energy that straight fuel provides.

So it boils down to 90% energy of straight gas and in addition 6.6% energy from ethanol, which together makes for 96.6% of the energy that 100% straight gas would provide.

So yes by all means put straight gas in your boat,because of the water in the tank problems that ethanol may cause. It is however way more expensive to run straight gas in your car and you only get about 3.4% more energy.

I ran the 91 in my 1988 before all the time , also in lawnmowers.............. Just wondering about my 4 stroke ?????

In my old carburetor car I used to adjust the jet needles a bit when going to a higher octane. Maybe you have to change to a different jet if your engine has fuel injection.

rolmops, thanks for the numbers on the efficiency of the ethanol. I disagree however that it is way more expensive to use. You're probably right for 87 octane but I usually go with 89 or higher, often 91 or the station closest to my house has 93. In that case it can be worth it. It changes all the time of course but I did a few calculations, for $3.90 vs. $4.10 it's about 95%. 4.00 vs 4.10 is 97.5%. So depending on the prices you're saving or not (using your 96.6% figure) but the difference is very slight either way. Used 4.10 b/c I think that's what I just paid for E0 the other day, could be wrong though.

I've done a few cross country trips and the effect was very noticeable for the long haul, didn't crunch any numbers and prices were quite different on the way, but it was obvious when we were running E10 vs straight gas, had to stop much more often depending on the state.