If you stack your down rigger rods can you run a slider on the top and bottom rods? Or can you run a fixed slider on the bottom? I'm only running one on the top right now because someone told me you couldnt run one on the bottom.

I only run a slider on the top rod when stacked.

But you might be able to get away with a fixed cheater on the down rod as long as the stacked rod is above the fixed cheater. then you could run a fixed or slider on the top rod also. Sliders on both will tangle the rods.

I wouldn't, but don't let that stop you from trying it. For the most part you might not have any problems as long as you remember to pull the top rod first. I think your tangles will come when you get a false release. Your fixed cheater will almost certainly catch the stacked line above it on it's way up. I am sure there are other scenario's where they will tangle as well. I figure If you can't get a bite on three spoons, how much is that 4th really going to help ?

I have run three riggers, stacked all three and run free sliders off all three top rods with great success....but that's as far as I'd take it.

Is there a preference whether you run the slider on the top rod or the bottom rod?

So lets say you have a stacked downrigger with a slider on the top rod, if you get a release from the bottom rod and have a fish on should you have someone else release and reel up the top line to avoid tangling the two lines?