cayuga 8/19 tough bite

took my little cousin out for his first time boat fishing....it was a tough bite...fished from 7 to 2

had 7 or 8 tail biters...and landed 6 all small fish today...fished from AES... north 2 to 3 miles ....all released and looked good

did catch our smallest to date...a 10" laker with all fins......lots of bait...did i mention lots of bait :yes:

it was a GREAT day to be on the lake...their was very little boat traffic today

We fished Cayuga this past week a couple days on vacation there. Best bite was last hour of light for lakers 1 mile north of AES deepestwater in the middle. 60 to 75 down anything with orange NK. DW. STINGERS. Glowfrog took a 7lber right atdark.

I would post but the lap top is fried and this kindle is ok but suks for posting pics :@

never trolled that late into the evening cool seeing the graph fill up at last light

Tough bite for us on Cayuga today also. Launched at Taughkannok Park around 8:45 which is a little late for us but wanted to get some sleep for once.

Headed north along West side with high hopes for finding some Lakers in their usual 75-90' haunts but they were far and few between. Seen lots of bait on the graph but only managed a few tail biters on the Jigs so headed to AES and found the fishing slightly better over there this morning until the fog/haze lifted around 11:30. Hit 3 or 4 big fish right off the bat in 90' and all came unbuttoned after a short fight. Not sure what was up with all the fish coming off today. 1 or 2 were good ones and had the rod bent to the cork but we only boated 2 small 18 to 20"ers. Lots of other tail biters north and south of AES but that was it.

There is always next weekend! <{{{{{{<

I had some vacation time this last week too. I fished most mornings and most evenings.

All mornings or evenings that were tough (the skunk) also had a bite on the opposite part of the day. I had three skunks during the week.

The ultimate rebound was today 8/19/12. I almost did not go out this evening since I had a Saturday morning skunk and a Sunday morning skunk and was getting frustrated I could not get either dipseys or spoons to produce. The thing that got me out was a report on John Gaulke's website http://www.fingerlakesanglingzone.com/reports.asp that explained the shutdown effect of the recent cold front and cloudy skies. He stated that Sunday had been slow in the morning due to the overcast skies but he predicted the steady weather and clearing skies should help the bite improve as the day progressed.

I headed out at around 5pm from Meyers. Set up at AES in the deep water with only one hit with no one home. I headed in shallower and the dipseys lit up. I used combos of green and white spin doctors and flies. I headed north of AES and stayed in 180 then 145 then 120 then 100. All were productive. Nothing really big but my arms are wasted from reeling in the mag dipseys over and over. Caught and released around twenty. About 12 4 to 6 lbers, the rest smaller.

I'm a believer in John's thoughts on the weather. It was a great day of fishing. Plus the sunset was fantastic!

Sunset_Cayuga.jpg

Sounds like a great evening, and a nice vacation! Too bad it was slow in the mornings for you guys though.

About the weather, all I know is it isn't always predictable. I'm hearing Cayuga was tough in the mornings this weekend but they were lighting them up on Seneca. Pretty much the same weather. Earlier this year Seneca was tough on jigging while we were doing great here. Same weather. The front was Friday, which could explain Saturday AM being tough, but why was it good on Seneca then? And by Sunday, 2 days later, it's often rebounding, but not this time, but Seneca was hot still.

I've had great cloudy days and tough cloudy days. Days with crystal clear skies where you catch a fish every five minutes, then the next day with the same weather conditions you can't buy a bite. I almost exclusively fish mornings but in general it seems to be the most predictable bite, obviously not this weekend, but in general. When that happens it dies as the sun rises. Sometimes sun is good, sometimes bad, it all depends- on something I guess.

And the evening can be great too. I agree about the morning/evening one if one is dead the other will be good thing. But sometimes the middle of the morning (No Clue hangover bite) or the middle of the afternoon (Sunny Sampson bite)... hmm almost any time can be hot depending on conditions. What are the specifics of how it works? I'd love to know. Wind I think plays a large role. Sun. Bait. Bait can be good, but too much can be bad. Brightness of the moon. Stable weather conditions seem to be best. It's easy to ascribe the day's bite to the weather conditions but as they say- correlation does not equal causation. The weather is just the most obvious factor and easiest to try to relate to the bite.

Anyway, wish I knew how it all came together but then maybe it wouldn't be fun anymore!

Alec,

I agree with you that the bite follows no rhyme or reason at times. I'm trying to figure out some.......

Often/Sometimes it works like this thoughts.

Like...

I find the bite often starts later in the morning (10am ish) when there has been a full moon.

Real sunny days often move the fish out just a little from the day before.

Darker lures often work better on cloudy days, brighter lures on sunny days.

These are a few of the basic rules that sometimes/often work. As you said, the reasons fish do or do not do what they do is what keeps us fishing. I'm just adding to the thoughts on what may or may not work on any given day. It drives me nuts to see a boat roar by in the morning, as happened the other day, and find out while I got nothing they had a great day on the rainbows. They knew something about what was possible that I didn't. I'm in a stage that I have some go to techniques that usually work, but I'm up for learning new stuff so I have more options. Always learnin'.

I have completely figured out when fish bite

If I'm by myself ...I can't keep them out of the boat....whenever I take someone with me they stop biteing :rofl::rofl:

for me the hardest part is finding them, new F/F should help...

I might take some heet for this...and I know people talk highly of John, however after reading his temper tantrum on someone asking for a tow I quit reading his reports....

I understand in can be a pain in the A$$, however I can't leave someone floating in the middle of the lake...it's just not rite

and if you can't see the difference in someone broke down on the side of the road and someone floating in the middle of the lake....you'll never get it