walleye leadcore starter kit

fitz67

I would like to add some lead core to my bag of tricks for walleyes . I have never used lead core as of yet and it seems to be a very effective way to put walleys in the cooler.

Any sugestions on equipment would be greatly appreciated. we are fishing out of a 196 fishmaster and plan on chasing the walleyes from the small boat harbour to dunkirk if it makes a difference

Thanks

Mitch

Type in Dreamsteelie.com and click on Capt. Pete Alex's store icon. He sells pre-made up leadcore set-ups. Most trollers will find 5-8 colors of lead most usefull. Okuma convectors are a good value for a reel to hold the set-ups.

I get by with a 6 color and 2 ounce,3 ounce & 4 ounce Gibbs weights if you need to go deeper,can cover from 20 ft to 40 ft down at 2.4 mph.I run 10 ft 10 lb fluorocarbon leader swivel then 40 ft of mono 12lb XT first then 6 colors of leadcore,then 30 lb PowerPro power braid.I use Penn 320 GTI reel,do not need to know footage out always run out all 6 colors of leadcore then hook on small board and run out to the side.If adding weight I put the Gibbs weight where the mono ties to the leadcore,it can then pull loose when a fish gets on and slide down the mono to my swivel at the 10 lb fluorocarbon leader.Outside leadcore no weight on board,2nd leadcore 2 ounces on board,3rd leadcore 3 ounces run straight back down rod corner of the boat.Dipsey rods with 36 lb multistrand wire between 2nd leadcore board rod and 3rd leadcore down rod,usualy out 145 ft on #3 setting.

Capt. Larry