Acid Wrap rod

Chas0218

I am looking for a trolling rod that utilizes the acid wrap. Is there a manufacturer that builds them? I found the Cabelas Fish Eagle II use this style but I wanted it in 8' 6" and non telescoping. If anyone word know of another manufacturer or better a place I could buy some that would be great.

Thanks,

Chas

I have one already and is one of the nicest rods I have used. Great action and super durable. I got in contact with Walker Downriggers because they offer a rod but is not available to purchase (included with a purchase of a new downrigger.) So I am just trying to find another manufacturer that makes them. They go by many names I have heard spiral wrap as well.

Tony Childs at Eyefull builds spiral wrap rods, but they're expensive compared to your off-the-shelf stuff. I haven't seen any of the major brands sporting spiral wraps. If you go the custom route, you can get whatever you want made...Batson, Lamiglas, MHX blanks, etc...

I built a couple of spiral wrap rods this year, but didn't notice too much difference in the few times I ran them. Supposedly they have less tendency to twist. I am fast becoming convinced however, that 7' rods are the way to go. So much easier to set and work around.

Most of the stock rods you see achieve the 180 degree spiral wrap in 2 guides. We do ours over 6 guides. I think it does help on the torque, especially for the kids. The video attached shows fighting a couple of fish of my personal favorite rigger rods - 7 foot with spiral wrap. We don't charge any more for a spiral wrap - doesn't really take any longer.

I have 2 of the 7 foot Fish Doctor "kids sticks". We used one of them over the weekend and the 2 other guys on the boat commented on how nice it was to fish a shorter rod and they did like the spiral wrap design. Jeff makes a great rod. I own 7 of his custom rods now. Shhhh.....Dont tell the wife!