Auto Pilot selection

jennings

I have a 1990 Penn yan 265 Pro-Hunter with twin 4.3 liters. I am going to get autopilot this winter and would appreciate info from others on best product for fishing purposes. Thanks to all for your input.

Are these I/O's? I presume they are. I'm interested in what information you get with your question since I have the same scenario in my 270 Amberjack. One of the issues it seems to me is that if yours is like mine, only engine has power steering. When operating the engine without power assist, will the autopilot be powerful & robust enough to move both outdrives? Glad you brought the subject up since I have the same question.

I have a 290 amberjack and installed a garmin ghp12 autopilot this past summer. So far so good. I used the Octopus remote power unit. I toll with the motor with power stewring. Works great. It took me about 8hrs to install the complete system

Al

HOOKNUP 2

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I can understand that all works well when trolling with the engine with power steering. I like to keep the engine hour usage on each engine approximately the same and since trolling uses many more hours, that engine gets much more aging than the other. I would like a solution that allows for use of either engine. Maybe switching to hydraulic steering would enable this but the expense is significant. I don't think the mechanical system will work correctly if you put power steering on the other engine. Maybe there is a way but it is more involved than that.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack "jennings" thread, just interested in the same issue.

Just sold a 23 ft Larson with a ray marine sport pilot. I ran mine for three years and literally used it. I tied the AP into my I/O but used a kicker as my drive when trolling. I used the ez-steer bracket to connect the two. My I/O was off while kicker was in use. No power assist for the steering of the I/O and then to turn the kicker. It worked great. The only thing I found was it struggled a tiny bit in waves over 3ft. It would overcompensate a bit but it always corrected.